OB Project Design Started, Help Requested. - Page 13 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 17th October 2010, 09:12 AM   #121
DQ828 is offline DQ828  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbro View Post
There are other options as well, such as crossing over in software via PC, using an external multi-channel sound interface.

I personally am going to build a 2-way open baffle system using a MiniDSP board and an amp I already have. Only thing left to do is buy a second stereo amp for the woofer channel. On the upside: no impedance measuremnts to do, no coils and caps to buy, (almost) no soldering, and as an added bonus I can do digital room correction, dipole roll-off equalisation, linkwitz transform, etc. With that amount of correction available, most TS-Parameters become "obsolete", pretty near all you need is Sd and Xmax for bass.
If you go the PC route, do you need to have it connected to the PC & PC running whilst playing music?

I love soldering.

I wouldn't mind to build some amps as long as there a fairly easy build, you know, join the dot's.

Doesn't all of this complex circuitry degrade the sound?

Once the digital signals are broken up into the seperate frequencies, you would then need to do DA conversion, which means 6 DA converters etc
Old 17th October 2010, 09:17 AM   #122
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
wait a minute.. you never mentioned budget before..

The AE drivers shouldn't be more expensive than the BMS drivers you were looking at. (..which btw, others have reported as being considerably less efficient than stated on their website.)

If you want something simple.. well, you are looking at the wrong design. A good dipole design isn't going to be truly simple, and a passive implementation will significantly increase complexity.

Suggestion: Do what I did for one of my designs.. just get some midbass drivers that are suitable with a bit of resistance from a large cored inductor (in series with the two paralleled drivers), and don't worry about lower freq.s.. Here are some:

Dayton PA255-8 10" Pro Woofer | Parts-Express.com
Ah yes, theres always a budget, the BMS drivers turned out to be more than I have been lead to believe by false advertising. Unless a bundle of money falls in my lap, 4 drivers that expensive wont be on the list.

I think I am hooked & convinced that I will probably need to be active, I dont want to make things difficult for myself

Think, that way I can build the speakers & the amps, fun ,fun, fun
Old 17th October 2010, 09:57 AM   #123
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DQ828 View Post
Ah yes, theres always a budget, the BMS drivers turned out to be more than I have been lead to believe by false advertising. Unless a bundle of money falls in my lap, 4 drivers that expensive wont be on the list.

I think I am hooked & convinced that I will probably need to be active, I dont want to make things difficult for myself

Think, that way I can build the speakers & the amps, fun ,fun, fun
There are a lot of amp-modules discussed here that is with a bit soldering easy to do. Or like I do with class-d modules they are more expensive then a module.

Or search the second hand market for some qaulity low price amplifiers pioneer or so, with source direct switch.

Or just buy new yamaha ax 397 95W 4ohm (australian market is exspensive i see in netherlands the ax397 cost only 232 australian dollar).
Click the image to open in full size.
yammi Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Hi-Fi Components - AX-397 and AX-497

Prices uk http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sp/yamaha-ax-397.html

Last edited by Helmuth; 17th October 2010 at 10:03 AM.
Old 17th October 2010, 10:17 AM   #124
Helmuth is offline Helmuth  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

It look promising this driver high Q for pa with fs 55Hz I would like to simulate these two in series, only poor data.

12-Inch Paper Cone PA Driver - Jaycar Electronics

Back to back and make a dipole.
http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...T&SUBCATID=645

http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView...T&SUBCATID=557

Last edited by Helmuth; 17th October 2010 at 10:43 AM.
Old 17th October 2010, 06:21 PM   #125
6.283 is offline 6.283  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Doesn't all of this complex circuitry degrade the sound?
Today's DSP modules are normally of useful quality. But even if it feels bad today you will very soon forget about it when you are listening to a pair constant/controlled directivity speakers, one of which a decently executed OB speaker is.
Old 17th October 2010, 11:06 PM   #126
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmuth View Post
There are a lot of amp-modules discussed here that is with a bit soldering easy to do. Or like I do with class-d modules they are more expensive then a module.

Or search the second hand market for some qaulity low price amplifiers pioneer or so, with source direct switch.

Or just buy new yamaha ax 397 95W 4ohm (australian market is exspensive i see in netherlands the ax397 cost only 232 australian dollar).

yammi Yamaha Music Australia - Audio Visual - Hi-Fi Components - AX-397 and AX-497

Prices uk http://www.pricerunner.co.uk/sp/yamaha-ax-397.html
Yes you are right the Australian market is expensive, small population & a long way to bring goods I guess.

I have a 7:1 AV reciever that has enough channels, I wonder if that could be used somehow? The movie makers manange to get different sound coming out of different speakers.
Old 17th October 2010, 11:50 PM   #127
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have a 7:1 AV reciever that has enough channels, I wonder if that could be used somehow? The movie makers manange to get different sound coming out of different speakers.
You can't use the sound control features of the AV receiver. But if it features a DVD multichannel input, you can use the 6 built-in amplifiers at your will and get a 6 channel volume control for free - just where it works best.

Rudolf
Old 18th October 2010, 04:14 AM   #128
diyAudio Member

Quote:
If you know of any hi efficieny, 12" drives with a Qts of about 0.7 & a xmax of 6+ let me know, all suggestions are welcome.
Efficency and xmax tend to be inversely correlated so you'll have a hard time with that. Beyma 12G40 could be worth a look but, like the 12PW5, its Fs is on the high side and modifying the spider is probably more than you want to get into here.
Old 18th October 2010, 04:48 AM   #129
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudolf View Post
You can't use the sound control features of the AV receiver. But if it features a DVD multichannel input, you can use the 6 built-in amplifiers at your will and get a 6 channel volume control for free - just where it works best.

Rudolf
Is this the sort of input you where thinking of? If it is what would I use, to get the signal split up into its component frequencies.

This is getting exciting
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reciever Back Panel.JPG (172.5 KB, 215 views)
File Type: jpg Reviever Instructions.JPG (29.3 KB, 59 views)
Old 18th October 2010, 09:17 AM   #130
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Is this the sort of input you where thinking of? If it is what would I use, to get the signal split up into its component frequencies.
Yes, exactly. It looks suspiciously like my own Onkyo receiver . Behind the input you get a 6 channel volume control and the option to give each channel an individual attenuation. And 6 amplifiers of course.

The means for splitting up the frequencies are multiple: A PC with a 7.1 soundcard, a DBX driverack, Alto maxidrive, Behringer DCX2496 or some miniDSP boards.

Hide this!Advertise here!