Looking to build some big 3 way's Need some help deciding on the woofer.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I've come to a conclusion that I don't like subwoofers. I want a full range loudspeaker array not partially fullrange then the sub elsewhere! So for my next project I want to build a hefty 3 way pair of speakers, about 500Wrms each for my large front room.

So far I half decided on these for the mid and tweet but can't decide what to get in the way of a woofer, I want 10" and about 200Wrms.

Morel CAM 558 2-1/8" Soft Dome Midrange

Morel CAT 408 1-1/8" Compact Soft Dome Tweeter

The thing is because I live in the UK I'm not going to be buying the speakers at different times nor from different shops in the US; I don't want to be hit with import duty and the rest twice. So the driver either needs to be from parts-express or for the UK and needs to not cost anymore than £75 each.

And please anymore input would be great thanks!

Thanks
Boscoe

Joined 2008
Paid Member
In my humble opinion, a single 10" does not a hefty woofer make, especially since you mentioned a large front room. At minimum a pair of 10's per side. Fortunately, PE has it's version of a 10" pro driver on sale right now, and still comes in under your $118/ per side
requirement. PE # Sku 295-030

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
The thing is because I live in the UK

I don't want to be hit with import duty and the rest twice. So the driver either needs to be from parts-express

or for the UK and needs to not cost anymore than £75 each.

hey, with your budget its far too expencive to buy from PE, or any other "over there"

Look up Blue Aran
Its located in UK
or Europe Audio

a nice 5" might be a good start
could be ScanSpeak Discovery 15M midrange
and a 12" woofer, sure thing
theres a cheap one in Beyma Studio series
Vifa XT19 tweeter is ok

you will need pro drivers if you want it tougher than that
but 500watt ? I sure wouldnt like to be there :eek: :D

if you want it that loud, I made the plans for this, a while back
I dont know how it will work
but it will be loud allright

Attachments

• 3way party.JPG
    3way party.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 252
Hi,

Your Search Results | CPC

There's usually some good drivers there. Delivery is free over a certain amount. They sell plenty of Celestion, Eminence, PD and Visaton stuff. There's also some matches with MCM, so it can pay to have that open seperately, see what you're looking at.
The guys there are really helpful, they respond to e-mails pretty quickly, and have sets of T/S parameters for most of the drivers they sell.

HTH
Chris

The suggestion by tinitus to switch to the 5" SS Discovery midrange is a good one...a 10-12" playing cleanly high enough for a 2" mid is a rare bird (think Seas W26).

The Peerless 830668 & 830669 are good woofers, relatively inexpensive, and will play high enough to mate well with the 5" Discovery in a system with good overall sensitivity. I would stay with your preference for a larger tweeter to better match directivity at XO.

That driver won't play low enough to be in a "full range" system. A pair per side is louder but not lower.

In my humble opinion, a single 10" does not a hefty woofer make, especially since you mentioned a large front room. At minimum a pair of 10's per side. Fortunately, PE has it's version of a 10" pro driver on sale right now, and still comes in under your $118/ per side
requirement. PE # Sku 295-030

A nice woofer for a 3 way loud speaker is a 12". That is also the reason to build a multi way.
200watt isn't a design goal a maximum spl is.

Dayton has nice price 10" and 12" with black aluminium cone heavy alu frame. 4 ohm. good for closed loudspeakers
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Dayton Audio - RSS315HO-4 Reference Series

A nice keflar for closed loudspeaker Hivi/swans d10g.
images

The same from monacor sph-250ke
http://www.monacor.de/typo3/index.php?id=84&L=0&artid=2075&spr=DE&typ=full
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Peerless also black alu cone. 10" 835016 also as 12" available. low spl

How about a black carbon cone Here the sph-300ctc can do with a small BR and still good spl.
mnc_sph-300ctc.gif

MONACOR INTERNATIONAL:Ergebnis

Paper cone woofer nice price qaulity of peerless.
Sls265.

Sandwitch Fibreglass cone

http://www.visaton.de/en/chassis_zubehoer/tiefton/tiw250xs_8.html

Sb acoustics
https://www.madisound.com/store/product_info.php?products_id=8303

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.