Favorite Drivers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
amo said:
At the risk of starting a thread usually found in some "other" audio forums :devily: , I would like to ask a question, which I believe will benefit many interested parties. I am very curious as to what are your favorite drivers, without regard to price and crossover considerations, and why. Please list the drivers, and your preffered frequency range for them. Sorry for not including mine own, by my experience is very limited.

I have a very soft spot for vintage 12 inch Electro-Voice fullrange drivers. I have owned SP12c's and presently own LS12's. These are rather efficient and have a very natural, musical sound. My current LS12's cover the range from around 60 Hz to 11 kHz. Amazing sound for a driver made in the late 50's. Sound especially good in an OB.
Dave
:nod:

This seems to be an appropriate place to ask this question: I have started to look for kits/ideas/designs for my secondery system (main system is too large and expensive and will take longer then I can be without decent sound:bawling: :bawling: :bawling: ) and have noticed the huge number of designs featuring the Seas Excell drivers. Everyone keeps saying that thes are super duper units with low distortion, but then add that Scan Speak Revelators are a little better... Well, the price difference is not that great, so........ Whats better?

I've been interested in many drivers. But considering only the ones I really have experiences designing and building with, these are the ones I favor. Most are out-of-production models, however.

Bass Drivers :

ACI DV-12 : powerful, solid

Bass/Midrange Drivers :

Focal 7K011DBL : difficult to tune, but superb when get it right.

Audax HIF17-JVX (or RVX or HVX) : very old model, used in Spica TC-50, still sounds pretty good, difficult to tune too.

Vifa P13WH00-08 : very easy to apply, sounds good, cheap.

Tweeters :

Scan-Speak D2905 : This is among the first generations of this famous tweeter family. Top quality, not so expensive.

Vifa D25AG35 : smooth sound, cheap, easy to use

Seas 19TAFG/D : double-magneted, sound very clean, and easy to use.

My favourite combo to date is the Scan-Speak 18W-8543 polypropylene in conjunction with the Seas Excel T25-001 tweeter. The S-S is probably the best polyprop cone available on the market, and is not very well known because it's price isn't much lower than the legendary 8545. BUT it's midrange is much punchier and cleaner IMO than the 8545, which admittedly has much better & warmer bass. The 8543 sounds good with Scan-Speak D2905-930000 or 950000, but with the Seas the combo is magical (even though it's a little cheaper).
Pierre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.