Favorite Drivers!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
JoeBob said:
Punkmouse,

Hmm maybe I need to add a mohican to my avatar;)

...where is that audax HD3P tweeter available? I was thinking of trying it for quite some time, but never found a place selling it ...

Audax stopped making them about a year ago:(

If anyone does know of any stockist that has any left though, I would be very interested, as it would be great to get 3 more for when I finally get round to sorting out my HT system properly.
tbla said:
hi pUnk mouse .....yes the atc 3" mid is one of the most fantastic drivers ever produced ....and has one first heard what it does in a system - you can never go back to anything else.

Very true, but I had no choice as I can't afford them...

the MANGER is also a special one.....

Yeah, I would like to hear one, one day.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Never heard the 100s properly loud, but a few years ago I was lucky enough to be involved in the launch of the Sony Oxford range of digital broadcast desks. Monitoring for the live demos was from SCM 200s.

During show programing, I was lucky enough to be able to use the system for "background" music, and as it was late at night with just my crew and building security around, we had some fun. When were cookin' they were great, but they didn't really seem to gel until they get to studio monitoring levels. But when they did gel- I have never heard a better system, ever...ever!

Ah, if only I had the room,money, and lack of neighbours ;)

pinkmouse said:

Hmm maybe I need to add a mohican to my avatar;)

Audax stopped making them about a year ago:(

If anyone does know of any stockist that has any left though, I would be very interested, as it would be great to get 3 more for when I finally get round to sorting out my HT system properly.

Very true, but I had no choice as I can't afford them...

Yeah, I would like to hear one, one day.

Is this
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

an HD3P? But the picture seems to be black & white

I saw a pair (at least) at a local dealer's. Brand new, still in theyr box.

Tell me if they have a golden colour, and if there are other models looking like those.

If you want them, I'll give a call to the dealer

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
Bricolo said:

Tell me if they have a golden colour, and if there are other models looking like those.

Yup, they are golden, and it is actually real gold. I have never seen any other Audax driver that looks like that

If you want them, I'll give a call to the dealer

I would be certainly interested in finding out the price, but unfortunately at the moment I am about to move house, so funds are a little scarce :( ,but if they are doing an end of line deal, I will probably find the money somewhere;)

pinkmouse said:

Yup, they are golden, and it is actually real gold. I have never seen any other Audax driver that looks like that

I would be certainly interested in finding out the price, but unfortunately at the moment I am about to move house, so funds are a little scarce :( ,but if they are doing an end of line deal, I will probably find the money somewhere;)

OK, so the ones I've seen are HD3P :)

I'll ask for the price. But I don't think they will do an "end of line deal", but I'll ask too ;)

amo said:
am very curious as to what are your favorite drivers, without regard to price and crossover considerations, and why. Please list the drivers, and your preffered frequency range for them. Sorry for not including mine own, by my experience is very limited.

I use a pair of Vifa PL11WG09's and a D27TG45 in each of my speakers and I'm more than happy with the result. Crossover is at 3K, 3rd order. The box is a MTM configuration.

Although its a small speaker the bass is nice and clear, its strange but my previous speaker sounded louder in the bass but this one is so much clearer - I really notice it on the drums, big difference in 'depth' (I didn't even notice the drums before)!.

I have some PL22WR09 ready to make a stereo sub, 'active', in a sealed box. Don't know how that sounds yet.

Tim.

...I know it's not really in the spirit of things, this being a DIY forum and all, but I have to say of the commercial drivers out there B&W has to make some of the best.

I have heard quite a few of their range and own a HT setup based around the 600 series;

DM603-S3 front (stereo)
DM601-S3 rears
LCR60 centre

I really can't fault these speakers considering the price range and the drivers are to die for - kevlar and aluminium :nod:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hmmm. I was expecting at least one voice for the scan speak Revelator mid-bass... what gives? (and how about the new SS ring radiator?)

Also, does anyone know anything about this one?

It appears to be used by Avalon speakers, and the Fs is nice and low.... Is it worth putting it in to my next box?

Thanks.

BTW A theread dedicated to personal preference of drivers... I think this is great!:cool:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: to planet10

amo said:
As you are the Fostex guru, what would you reccomend for an array type system (secondery system for the bedroom, so not too terribly expensive). Does not have to be fostex, but I hear they have great full ranges...

What are you trying to achieve? Unless you are using very small drivers ie <2" an array usually means a 2 way with a row of tweeters. Unless you are willing to put a lot of money into them, this is really the realm of the budget driver.

Something like faustian bargin's WalWarts with FE103 might be more appropriate.

Of course budget plays a role ... how much do you have?

dave

Re: Re: to planet10

planet10 said:

What are you trying to achieve? Unless you are using very small drivers ie <2" an array usually means a 2 way with a row of tweeters. Unless you are willing to put a lot of money into them, this is really the realm of the budget driver.

Something like faustian bargin's WalWarts with FE103 might be more appropriate.

Of course budget plays a role ... how much do you have?

dave

Since this is just a bedroom system, I want to stay under USD$200 for each channel (passive, stereo...), maybe a little more for higher quality crossover parts, but around there. In the future I may add a sub to each side. But maybe an array is not the way to go here? I do not need it too terribly loud, but it should go to 115db without any problems though.

Thanks.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Oh well, by the time I can get that sort of spare cash together, I suspect they will have sold out, but I can always hope!

You could always make a time dependent deposit on a pair if you absolutely must have a set...

I certainly would...but then I'm that kind of twisted fellow.

Dunno what's so special about those Audaxes...I never found a single flaw in my Visaton ribbon tweeters but I may be comparing oranges to pears here.

Cheers,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.