R/Boom correction - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th July 2003, 01:28 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default R/Boom correction

In order to optimise my listening experience without risking a divorce, I was contemplating some form of electronic room correction.

The project involves building a stack of GainClones for bi or triamping.

Initially I'm interested mainly in stereo. My current speakers are 2 way + sub, but the rate of change in my Hifi setup is such that this will surely change in the coming months.

I've been searching around and found info about

Behringer UltraCurve/UltraDrive
TACT RCS/TCS
dbx Driverack (260)

Could someone shed some light on which of the above would be best for the application. Hands on experience would be welcome, especially from people able to compare the different boxes.
If you guys think I'm on the wrong track here and should consider Model X of Brand Y, please let me know.

Also the balanced/unbalanced inputs/outputs worry me a bit. How could I overcome this problem (currently I have all unbalanced)

I realise the TACTs are (much) more expensive and would probably be everything I had hoped for. (I heard the TCS2 in High End Frankfurt this year) They are also a bit out of my financial league I'm afraid.

Thanks,

Gert
Old 7th July 2003, 03:38 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Nappylady Send a message via AIM to Nappylady Send a message via MSN to Nappylady Send a message via Yahoo to Nappylady
SWITCH TO BALANCED!!!

Balanced gives a good 6 dB's better SNR, more sound, protects better against noise spikes that aren't covered by the 6 dB's (interference etc) and IMO, just sounds better.

Of course, you have to be careful that the balancing is done correctly, because if it's balanced wrong, it will hum, and you still have to be careful of ground loops.

If you don't jump onto the balanced bandwagon, you can use any balanced equipment as unbalanced equipment, by simply pretending that the "cold" connection doesn't exist.

I am a big fan of Behringer's mixing consoles, because they're GOOD and they're inexpensive.

I read a review once of the Ultracurve and the guy giving it was a "golden ear"--he was into the expensive stuff down to the cables--and he gave a review of the device that was glowing and wonderful. I think I'm going to need one for my stereo system, as soon as I can afford it.

Hide this!Advertise here!