Tweeters - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd October 2001, 03:17 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

My favorite low cost tweeter is the Audax TMO25F7, a 1" dome that extends down to 1.8khz. It has very flat response for a cheap 1", check it out at the audax website
Old 22nd October 2001, 03:42 AM   #12
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
Audax makes an inexpensive, good sounding 1 1/8 inch soft dome that fits that price range. As far as metal vs soft dome goes, I think that some of the higher end soft domes are equally as precise as the metal domes, without that fatigue that is all too common. I prefer soft domes, certain Scanspeak units in particular. The one line of metal dome tweeters I will vouch for would be Focal's inverted dome units, but I'll never have that much money to burn on a tweeter.

(By the way, I believe that Wilson uses modified Audax tweeters for the "ambience" drivers on its SLAMM speakers)

Old 22nd October 2001, 10:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

The Audax TMO25F7 is a very good dome, and yes it's used as the ambient tweeters in the X-1 SLAMMS because it goes to almost 40Khz

A excellent metal dome at a good price is the MB Quart 1" Titanium dome on sale at Madisound. Until they upgraded to the Accutron units, Avalon Acoustics used the MB's. Actually Avalon developed this dome as a speciality unit for their speakers, MB later put it into mass production.

Metal domes can provide a very smooth detailed response, but the XO design is more critical since metal domes in general tend to be more revealing/less forgiving
Old 23rd October 2001, 11:06 AM   #14
Will is offline Will  Malaysia
diyAudio Member

Guys, has anyone compared the Scanspeak 2905 series with Audax's HD3P ? Well ,the price range is about the same but it kept me guessing for quite a while about the sound quality. The reason is that I'm not sure if my next speaker project will be based on the Scan Speak or Audax. Could somewone pls advise ? thanks.

Hide this!Advertise here!