When and how to use bass traps

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be augmenting my mains with multiple subs (3), and have heard that bass traps should be used as well which I'm not sure I can see the point of. Anyway, should I just put a broadband bass trap behind each speaker or do I need to use the right amount (not too much or too little)? Also the main speakers are almost blocking the space behind them in the corners, so does that make those corners a bad place to put the traps?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
You will see the point of them once you have them installed. Bass traps are one of the best investments you will make towards good sound below 300-400hz. I DIY'd mine using high density roof insulation.

Floor to ceiling in every corner is the way to go. The smaller the room, the better they work. Otherwise go dipole!

Check out this forum and this site for starters.

Thanks for the links, dabbler. Still reading :)

Would it be OK if I treat only the front wall and the sides beside the speakers? These are the easiest for me to work on. I can cover the whole wall and a few feet of the sides (except the areas I'll have reflection absorbing panels, of course). I can use panel traps directly on the walls with fibreglass wads along the corners.

I was thinking about starting with the corners. I have a conundrum. I want to build two pairs of panel pressure absorbers each 60cm wide, two per corner in an L shape...then I also want to put some fibreglass velocity absorbers into these corners which would go partially over the others. This is obviously where the modes are easy to get at, but one would reduce the energy available to the other ones.

I have considered repositioning the panels just a little so they are next to the corner traps without overlapping them, but then they would overlap the areas where I want to use mid/high reflection absorption, which would be inconvenient so how much energy could I pick up placing the panel absorbers toward the middle of the walls?

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I think you may be complicating things a little. Go for broadband absorbers around the room instead of splitting them up into low / mid / high absorption.

My absorbers are 600 x 100mm thick rigid rockwool panels straddling the corners and a 100mm panel on each side for first reflections. Works very well. My room was a mess below 400hz before I installed them. I would start with something like that and try to keep it simple.

You may also want to ask the guys at the gearslutz forum - very knowlegable and helpful. They helped me sort my room out.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.