Audax Home Theater Kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 4th January 2002, 03:53 PM   #1
BD is offline BD
diyAudio Member

Default Audax Home Theater Kit

I am looking into building my first set of speakers. I want to use a kit because the crossover and box design is already accomplished.

Has anyone had any experience with this system. It seems like a good design to me, but i am just getting into speaker building. also i was looking at the subwoofer that is recommended with this system. Would I be better off sticking with it or going with something like the Vance series from Partsexpress. I there are systems that better than this one let me know. All feedback will be appricated.

BD
Old 4th January 2002, 04:04 PM   #2
Warp Engineer
On Holiday

Is this a good setup? Yes.

Are there better? Yes.

Audax drivers feature in speakers worth US$15,000 so for what the kit costs it is worth the money.... only complaint i would have about it is that i generally prefer sealed boxes to ported ones.
Old 4th January 2002, 05:23 PM   #3
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

for the money, this is a great setup. sure, you can get setups with better components, but that's only half the battle. the setup was designed by Dr. D'Appolito, so it's a good bet that the rest of the system is designed extremely well. Vance Dickason's kit also seems quite good, though i haven't heard it.

still, you can get the parts for the entire setup except the sub for under $600 bucks, not counting cabinets. you really can't beat that.

i'd be inclined to use a different sub, though
Old 4th January 2002, 05:47 PM   #4
BD is offline BD
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your replies,

I thought that the intial design seemed really good. The weak part in the design seemed to be the sub. I will definitely get a different sub from what the kit suggests. I have no problem with the fact that I have to make the cabinets. The plans should be enough for me.

I realize that there are problably better systems out there, but this system is in the right price range and i like the idea of building it myself!

I was looking at building a sub for about $300(driver and amp) and then picking an enclosure. Are there any recomendations??

BD
Old 4th January 2002, 06:50 PM   #5
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

I'd look into the adire drivers ( http://www.adireaudio.com ) if I were you. The Shiva is really well thought of around here. And when I'm done with my amp/pre-amp & rear speakers I'm going to go with the Tempest for a sub.
Old 4th January 2002, 07:31 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

BD, I am building this kit right now (from scratch). I have already finished the mains and the surrounds, and I am working on the CC. I am not building the sub.

The mains sound really great. They have really excellent bass response for 6 1/2" drivers. The surrounds are noticably lacking in bass extension, but hey what do you expect for a small sealed box with a single 6.5" ? Regardless, all four of them sound excellent, and when combined with a capable sub then they will tear the house down .

One of the best properties of the Audax drivers, IMHO, is their imaging. They have very a detailed sound, which makes them ideal for HT applications. I attended a DIY speaker competetion earlier this year in the Washington DC area, and I was ecstatic for one important reason. The tweeter that consistently sounded the best to me (and many others) was the TM025F1, and the AP1x0Z0 drivers were also repeated favorites with the crowd. Granted, I heard these drivers in other designs with many different cabinet styles, but they consistently provided great sound regardless of their enclosure.

Right now the only two things holding me back on my HT are my center channel, which is in progress, and the Outlaw 950 pre/pro. God only knows when they are going to actually ship that , so I have some time to finish my CC .

Please feel free to post or email if you have any questions about constructing the kit.
Old 4th January 2002, 08:54 PM   #7
ucla88 is offline ucla88  Tahiti
diyAudio Member

i second the vote for one of adire's subs. i just finished building a sealed tempest and will try to put it on my webpage this weekend. needless to say i'm very satisfied. it's hard to do much better without spending significantly more money.

if space for the sub is an issue, there are other options, but if you've got room, check out a shiva or tempest.

you can get a PE 250 watt amp and a tempest for about 300.
Old 4th January 2002, 09:10 PM   #8
BD is offline BD
diyAudio Member

Space is not an issue neither is WAF.
I built myself a Home Theater room in my basement(the wife has no say in) which has a projector in it!! I am now getting to the audio upgrade, I like the looks of the Shiva's.

One thought i had was.

I have a crappy 12 passive sub from RatShack, i could replace the 12" sub in it with a Shiva and maybe cut out a place for a 250 sub amp. I could see how this sounds, if I Don't like the sound, build me a custom box. The sub enclosure is ported and it looks like a very standard enclosure. I bet there isn't even stuffing in it.

I cannot wait to get started on the Audax speakers. They will be replacing a mismosh of speakers.

I just need to get my audio to match with my 109" screen.

BD
Old 4th January 2002, 09:10 PM   #9
Super is offline Super  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Super
The Adire drivers are very good indeed, but I've been hearing not-too-great things about the PE amps. Perhaps an Adire or Apex Jr. amp would be the better choice.
Old 4th January 2002, 10:21 PM   #10
JoeBob is offline JoeBob  Canada
diyAudio Member

You'd be better off making an enclosure specifically for the shiva (or shivas) if that's the route you go. Just having the driver in a box doesn't make it sound good, needs a well made box with the right size/tuning frequency/dimentions if you go with ported (which your other box is).

Hide this!Advertise here!