Sweet tweeter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The short story...
On my last 3 DIY speakers the tweeters sounded harsh every single time. Now I really want to get bright sounding speakers but I dont want them to sound harsh. My question is : is there any of 1st,2nd,3rd order that could help me fighting against harhiness? Any other kind of filter, I want to get some advices...

Next driver would be a Peerless 811815 1" DOME TWEETER.
can be found herehttp://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=277-408&DID=7

thanks

The Scanspeak d2010 has a reputation as sounding very sweet but it only has an efficiency of 91dB (closer to 88 once it's hooked up to a second order XO).

if you can tolerate the lower efficiency then it's actually a pretty low cost option.

hope this helps a little

Drew

My current commercial speakers are Advanced Acoustic and use the 811815 tweeter. Not harsh at all. I think you will like it.
In my unit, is crossed over with a single 4.7uF and a pad resistor. In my short experience, the first order (if possible) makes a more natural sound, and the harsness comes from the medium range.

What price do you have for it? I'm also planning to use it in a Diy speaker I'm building for a friend maybe crossing at 2Khz

I have two recommendations. I have found that really old, lower quality CD players will start sounding harsh before the rest of the sound goes bad, so just to be sure, you might find someone with different components than you have so you can swap them out and make sure you don't have a weak link. The fact that a few different tweeters have had the same undesirable sound is a bit suspicous of something OTHER THAN the tweeters, if you ask me.

I also agree with the other guy's recommendation of using more of a full or partially full-range driver like a 2" or 3" Tang Band. That takes the crossover frequency out of the delicate range of most vocals, and I own the 3" Tang Bands with the neodymium magnet and I can tell you that they are NOT harsh. Smooth as anything I have heard.

Guss said:
I wont crossover that low just to enjoy my mid/woofer large range. For the crossover, I will use solen caps and coils. What do yo plan Raka?

The woofer is not decided yet, but for sure it will be a two way. The future owner listen to Springsteen, so I think that a 6" cone will do :clown:

Paulinator,

Your comment about the source has a five stars. Source is of paramount importance, at least it's what I've seen.

Guss said:
WTH ! Those speakers are damn good ! :eek:
first - where can i find them ?
twice- how much

The Bandor 50s are superb - I use them in my own speakers. They cost about £70 each which translates to about CAN $157.50. Then you'd have to pay postage. So they ain't cheap. However, they can do things that no other drivers can do. You get what you pay for.

You can speak to Doreen Bance Jordan on +44 1 494 714058. She can get sidetracked in conversation easily but ask for the single wound units in either 4 or 8 ohms. If you mention my name, she will supply you. I would phone rather than email the web site. I also suggest that you buy them quickly.

Steve

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.