Found some older speakers... - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd July 2003, 06:29 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to swirv
Default Found some older speakers...

A pal of mine gave me the gutts and the speakers from an old Zenith HiFi. I do not know the model or date it was made. Unfortunatly no info is on the parts I have. The speakers are marked however. They consist of a 10" paper cone driver with 49-1221 on the back. There is also a horn tweeter marked 'foster' 49-1166. I think this just like the Foster/Fostex 40-1166.

The question is: What do I do with these things? I have no info on them exept what I can measure with my DMM. The 10's are 16ohm and the tweeter....uh...I forgot what the tweetet measured. The crossover was just a cap and resistor on the tweet with the 10 run fullrange.

They are in GREAT condition. The thing had a TT and an 8-track, so it is old. The speakers though, look brand new exept for a few little rust spots on the basket of the 10".

I will post pics as soon as I can get a hold of a digicam.

Any help would be cool.
Old 5th July 2003, 08:29 PM   #2
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Hehe, I get tons of these old console units, often the ones from just when transistors came out. The speakers are always like new because they never made amplifiers big enough to even barely drive them. I find that these speakers are usualy very nice and sound good for their age especially.

Has anybody else had experience with old speakers from radios and consoles?

I also found it that often 10" drivers were used in these consoles. What's up with that? Why never 8" or 12"?
Old 8th July 2003, 07:42 AM   #3
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Default Re: Found some older speakers...

Quote:
Originally posted by swirv
Zenith ... 10" paper cone driver with 49-1221 on the back. There is also a horn tweeter marked 'foster' 49-1166. ... 10's are 16ohm and the tweeter
16 ohm... are they alnico. Are they anything like these 49-1240. There may also be a number on them that gives away the manufacturer. The pictured ones are Rolas (and are quite lovely).

The Foster horn is also quite nice. The 1166 is one of the shorter ones -- were they mounted with a blue styrofoam spacer? There are some of these and relatives on my BD-Pipes page.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg zenith-rola-49-1240-10fr.jpg (35.4 KB, 511 views)
Old 8th July 2003, 07:43 AM   #4
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And the Foster tweeter.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foster1166-3.jpg (11.2 KB, 489 views)
Old 8th July 2003, 07:45 AM   #5
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by Duo
I get tons of these old console units
Some of those consoles have "gold" in them... please don't chuck em without salvaging the guts -- particularily the tube ones. You still in Alberni?

dave
Old 8th July 2003, 08:50 AM   #6
Duo is offline Duo  Canada
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Duo
Yes, I understand what you mean by "gold." Every one of these units I see going to the dump I try and take home. The drivers and guts out of them are often very nice. I have made some impressive speakers out of these units.

The tube consoles I usually try to keep working in original condition though. For example, I have a very very sweet Grundig floor console radio in perfect condition. The sound this radio produces is phenominal, full class A and those weird European speakers that are like 14" by 8" or something like that. I keep the unit in top condition and polish the cabinet frequently to keep any dust or foreign matter from settling on it.

So far, I've salvaged the guts out of every unit I have ever gotten before tossing the case. Some of the recievers in them turn into nice component size units when built into individual boxes. The speakers I remove and build into new enclosures. I can make a very nice system out of the guts of a console!
Old 13th July 2003, 05:39 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to swirv
Dave,

The 10" speakers have what appears to be the same basket as the ones in your picture however, mine have a ceramic magnet and no dust cap. They have a fabric dust 'screen' over the pole piece.

Do you have any sugestions for these drivers? Dipoles? Horns? TL?

Any sugestions as to a direction to take would help. I have little experiance with drivers like these, and I see that you have played with quite a few.

thanks

Chris
Old 13th July 2003, 07:25 AM   #8
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by swirv
The 10" speakers have what appears to be the same basket as the ones in your picture however, mine have a ceramic magnet and no dust cap. They have a fabric dust 'screen' over the pole piece.
All the ceramic magnet ones i have seen have been 8 ohms, so i'm guessing yours are 1st gen ceramic then (as you get newer the drivers in this series seem to get less robust). Still a very sweet driver.

The ones i've seen all came in Zenith Allegro cabinats and with the sucky BR box they dont sound all too great. Take the back off and they open right up.

I plan on putting mine in some sort of quarterwave enclosure -- which one depends on how the T/S turn out. They also aren't too bad in an open baffle (as above).

Any numbers beside the 49-1221?

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foster10fr.jpg (51.3 KB, 400 views)
Old 13th July 2003, 07:27 AM   #9
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

And here is another, prettier, version of the driver.

dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg foster40-1265.jpg (32.8 KB, 401 views)
Old 13th July 2003, 07:29 AM   #10
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

There are 8" versions of these too... less at the bottom, more at the top.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!