Vifa MG crossover design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'll be receiving my first load of diy drivers on friday and I can't wait to start building a set of speakers. I'm planning on making a stereo pair of MTM's using Vifa MG series 7" mids and Usher 9950. I've been playing around with crossover design, but since it is my first time I was hoping to get some input on these specific drivers and hopefully get someone to design a quick crossover for me. If someone could take a couple of seconds and draw up a basic scematic and list of values I would greatly appreciate it. I have found no people using the new Vifa MG series drivers in a home setup, but have heard great things about them from the car audio side of things. Again, I'm just looking for a passive crossover design for an MTM setup using the above drivers. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help me out.

Cheers
-Steve

I think if you'll go back to my original post you'll see that I said I've already done that, using several different methods and opinions on crossover design. I was looking for someone more experienced to simply put in their two cents, a "what would you do" situation if you will. In particular I was hoping for someone with experience with these specific drivers to give me their input on good crossover points and slopes. Please do not think that I am look for an easy way out, or that I'm not trying to solve the problem on my own

Cheers

dunderchief,
I've never used the drivers you have, but I looked at the published FR curves and they don't look to bad to me. Why don't you try the easiest route first and go from there? If I were you and assuming that you'll be running the two Vifas in parallel, I'd probably try something like a .6mH or .7mH coil in series with the mid/woofers and start with a 3uF cap on the tweeter and go from there. Who knows? It might sound good just like that.

HEY HEY!!! Thanks for the reply. I got everything built over a very long day yesterday, and did exactly what you said, only I only had a .4 mH Inductor and .47 uF cap, so I'll survive with that for the moment. Holy crap am I impressed by how they sound. To be honest my high end listening experience is fairly limited but I'm blown away by the detail that comes out of these speakers. Thanks to the one person who gave some help, I appreciate it.

Cheers

dunderchief,
I hope there was a typo and you're not really using a 0.47uF cap and that it's actually a 4.7uF cap. In any event, a 0.47uF cap would be crossing the tweeter so high that you probably would have difficulty hearing it. If it is a 4.7uF cap, it might be crossing the tweeter on the low side giving it insufficient protection depending on how loud you typically listen. If the mids sound a bit prominent, increase the coil a bit. Get yourself a bunch of inexpensive caps and coils and tweak around until you get it just the way you like it. Then go out and order some better quality stuff for your final xover.
Glad I could help and even gladder that you like what you hear.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.