Why aren't coaxial speakers more popular? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th August 2010, 10:05 PM   #1
Tyson is offline Tyson  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Why aren't coaxial speakers more popular?

They seem like an elegant solution to one of the fundamental problems of multi-way speakers, the fact that the sound is cut up and emanates from different physical points in space.

Now, I know that putting a tweeter inside a cone woofer will result in some FR issues, but that seems a fair trade off for a true point source. Plus, if the driver is done right, then the motors of the 2 drivers align and phase/time issues become much simpler.

Or, am I missing something important here? And before someone comes in and says that the problem is the difference in beaming between a 12 inch (or 15inch) woofer and a 1 inch tweeter, lets restrict the discussion to 8 or 6 inch midranges.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:04 PM   #2
badman is offline badman  United States
diyAudio Member

Hard to do a crossover for, expensive, and you're typically limited to the mid/tweeter combo that they chose for you.

Other than that I'm hoping to snag some classic Utah coaxials from some Soundcraftsmen speakers, we'll see if they pass muster upon inspection.
Old 24th August 2010, 11:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Take a look at the Tannoys. I use a home made Urei 811C clone for my center channel in my HT set-up. It's a perfect fit as far as bandwidth and a close match to my mains. It rocks on dialog and 3 would make one fine set of front channels.

Rob
Old 24th August 2010, 11:16 PM   #4
Ron E is offline Ron E  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyson View Post
They seem like an elegant solution to one of the fundamental problems of multi-way speakers
The SEAS Loki is a nice coax design, but good coaxials tend to cost more than separate drivers of similar (or even better) performance.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:09 AM   #5
Pano is offline Pano  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Yeah, cost is an issue.
I asked the Selenium rep why they stopped making coax drivers. He said everyone at the factory loved the coax drivers, but no one bought them. So they had to drop them.

Seems that a lot of builders want to see 2 drivers if they are paying for two.
FWIW, I don't think they work well under 10". At least the ones I've heard don't. The P.Audio 18" coax is quite a beast! Talk about dynamic.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:36 AM   #6
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

How about car audio market? There are a lot of coax drivers there. I am curious if anything there could be modded for home stereo by engineering crossover for example.
Old 25th August 2010, 12:54 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
FWIW, I don't think they work well under 10".
Yeah I know what you mean. I have had a couple of Altecs a 12" 601 A 15" 604C a Jenson 15" 501?? and a Urei/Jbl 801C. Liked all of them and the 15's worked just fine. I still have the 601 and 801 both need subwoofers below 80hz or so.

Rob
Old 25th August 2010, 01:25 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

The biggest issue is that mounting the tweeter mid woofer usually degrades its response more than any benefit that comes from concentric mounting. Most of the 50's generation have highly directional horns with poor response. Tweeters mounted on a post will have reflection issues from the woofer behind (unless a directional waveguide is used). The KEF Uni-Q suffered from edge reflections from the woofer surround.

Still, coaxs are great for custom in-wall. I designed a model at PSB that used a waveguide on the tweeter. A little extra directivity meant virtually no reflection from the woofer behind, smooth response and a nice ability to aim the treble as desired.

PSB Speakers - CW180R In-Wall Speaker

Another model that worked was a BBC design that had a tweeter mounted on a perforated plate in front of the woofer. The plate was transparent enough for the bass to get through and solid enough to effectively baffle the tweeter.

David
Old 25th August 2010, 02:25 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

The Thiels do well; note that they are not a 1" tweeter buried deep in the depths of a 10" woofer though. http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Site..._7premtech.pdf
Old 25th August 2010, 02:40 AM   #10
RIP

I have a pair of old KEF uniQ's as backups to my DIYs. They definitely have their issues, but some things they do very well (imaging). These are an early generation model, and I have a feeling they've figured some things out in the past 15 years.

The format has great potential, but, unfortunately, is the age of ipods and earpods, I doubt they get the investment in R&D that they deserve. Harmon could do it ... R&D and marketing budget aimed at home theater - the coaxial's natural ally.

Hide this!Advertise here!