Looking for midtweeter to go with a 10" woofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have this 10" Dayton "classic" woofer and an old cabinet big enough to mount it, and I have been intending for a long time to throw together something - a 2-way - for the garage using this woofer. Nothing serious just something that is able to produce sound without any unlistenable attitudes.

Suffice it to say that the woofer is ok upto 1Khz after which it rolls off and breaks up by 2khz, so a cut off freq of ~1Khz using a 2nd order filter would work. I dont want to go overboard with the xover also - keep it simple and cost effective.

I am thinking one of these 2-3" so called fullrange drivers should do the job - Madisound Speaker Drivers » Fullrange

I have this 10" Dayton "classic" woofer and an old cabinet big enough to mount it, and I have been intending for a long time to throw together something - a 2-way - for the garage using this woofer. Nothing serious just something that is able to produce sound without any unlistenable attitudes.

Suffice it to say that the woofer is ok upto 1Khz after which it rolls off and breaks up by 2khz, so a cut off freq of ~1Khz using a 2nd order filter would work. I dont want to go overboard with the xover also - keep it simple and cost effective.

I am thinking one of these 2-3" so called fullrange drivers should do the job - Madisound Speaker Drivers » Fullrange

Hi,

Go for a full ranger 4 to 6 dB less sensitive than the Dayton 10". Cross it
over using a series first order network around the frequency the baffle
width defines the baffle step centre frequency, that will work.
2nd order electrical at 1kHz will not work well unless you know a lot.
a 3" is your best bet.

rgds, sreten.

Last edited:
FR for two way

You can't go wrong with the MA CHR-70 for your application; very cost effective and plenty of info of these drivers on the FR forum.

I'm using the CSS EL-70 (paper cone) with dual 5" crossed active at 1k hz presently. Payed $50 ea for these, $36 for the CHR-70's is a bargain.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.