Cureved loudspeaker construction page started

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
more pics of layered lamination. 6 layers 3 x 3mm mdf + 3 x 4mm ply.

front view

Attachments

• front of speaker.jpg
    front of speaker.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 964
An excellent resource, Andy.

Did you coin the expression "Translam". I never realised before that I'm a Translamer but I'm not surprised.

What a fantastic collection of interesting looking speakers. I'd love to listen to them. Maybe we should we hold a show for all the curvers out there?

Also, I believe that there are some interesting speakers with a moulded construction. Do you have any plans to feature any?

All in all, it's wonderful that so many builders and manufacturers are starting to get away from the straight sided cabinets of old. Curves can solve a number of design problems and look better too.

Keep up the good work. Thanks.
Steve

A question for Keith, Rob and Ron

Can I pose a couple of questions to my fellow translamers?

With the Nonsuch 4, I held the segments together with wooden dowels (I had to abandon the single steel dowel shown in the photo). The wooden dowels were a fair solution but a pain in the butt to assemble. If you built your translams without dowels, did you have any problems with the segments sliding once the glue was on?

Also, if you used MDF, did you encounter any problems with the segments expanding and contracting heightwise as they absorbed and lost moisture? I'm having to move to moisture-resistant MDF.

Steve

Here in my "Fat Margaret Project"

Here in my "Fat Margaret Project".....

Eventually I will make a we page with a full series of pictures of building these enclousures and also all the theory and measurements behind it.

pic. 1

Ergo

Attachments

• fatmargaret1.jpg
    fatmargaret1.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 780
angshudas said:
Good work Navin, how do you keep the layers in shape after gluing, do you nail them in.

Angshu

nope the nails you see in the close up are to positioning only. no nails were used. only wood glue and bands. I made a skeleton of one side. then assembled 6 layers of one side first. repeated the sme process for the second side.

the sides i thus built were free standing they did not need the braces to keep their shape. the braces are braces. pure and simple.

the nails are there to keep the braces movig while the gluw is drying.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.