Opinions on............

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Jim, Not as good as speakers you make yourself. Remember this is a DIY site.

Please accept my profound apologies for my sacrilegious thread.:eek::xfingers:

I did 'build' many years ago with 2 sand filled panelled 6 cu ft tuned enclosures containing Wharfedale Super 12's, Goodmans midax and trebax horns and extra 2" tweeters with massive magnets.
They were almost immovable (140lbs each !) but sounded very natural on all kinds of inputs including classical orchestral (my favourite)

I can't imagine how I could build the type of units I'm needing for future TV use but, no doubt, will hear something to my advantage (to pinch some 'solicitor speak')
Best regards,
'red faced' Jim.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Jim,

Do you still have the tools? You can always make something like orbs, ie: small boxes with full range drivers, a powered woofer and an EQ to level the playing field. You can build things into walls to improve the WAF or simply hang them on brackets or shelves. You can hide the woofer behind the couch or have it out in all it's glory. It's all up to you. What you do to get this ball rolling is to outline what you want. Maybe a sketch of the room, your existing equipment, that kind of thing.

I'm going to disagree a little. Most DIY'ers can't make something like that of the same size for near the same value, simply because that kind of cabinet requires tooling and/or skills most DIYers don't have.

Yes, DIYers can build excellent small speakers. Krutke's little mini-monitor with the Aura tweeter is quite nice, for instance. But few DIYers can make the metal or molded plastic cabinets required to go down to this level of tiny-ness. I suppose one could hand-lay fiberglass, but that's really annoying to do.

I've heard most of the commercial small speakers: the Orbs and Gallos, the KEF eggs, the Tannoy Arenas. I'd rank them in those tiers. With any of the first three, forget about anything below ~200Hz or so from the mains. Just not gonna happen. Too little volume displacement. The little KEFs get louder and have much better treble due to the Uni-Q. They also just generally sound cleaner than the Gallos and Orbs. (There's little IMO to choose between Gallo and Orb, except that the Gallos are much more expensive.) The KEFs don't come in as many colors, though.

If you can afford them, the Tannoy Arena eggs are by far the best of the lot. They're bigger, but they have a 5" driver in them, and can go down to maybe 120Hz or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.