Dealing with an 8" driver offset

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have this offset with a waveguided driver (the tweeter is behind the woofer by around 600uS, xover around 1kHz). I have always tried to get phase coherence between drivers but this is a tough one.

I have been standing behind the speakers with alligator clips and pink noise running into an RTA setup and this has worked fairly well so far.

I want to know whether I can get away with this or if I need to address the time alignment issue, but another thing that bothers me is I think I can hear the time offset (not sure, though).

Try to revers the phase on the waveguide. If that is not posible you need some delay circuit. I do not have a lot of experience with allpasses. You can look up Linkwitz Lab - Loudspeaker Design for information but an active solution may be the only way. The Beringer digital crossover can do that easy in the digital domain and Pilgham Audio in the Netherlands sells an upgrade Kit designed by Jan Didden that makes it sound decent. Without the modification you have lots of unnesesarry elcaps and inexpensive Opamps in the chain.

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, assuming you're working with accurate acoustic centers, then your offset is between a 2nd and 3rd order XO offset for them to be wired in phase, so if both driver's positions are fixed, then tweaking the XO's slope order is your only option; otherwise, with polarity reversed on the WG, place the WG's acoustic center approximately where it should be for XO's slope order and find the deepest null (> 8 dB), mark the location and swap its wiring back to positive polarity.

GM

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
OK then, but I may need quite a few poles as both drivers are approaching rolloff at the crossover frequency. I can at least get away with first order on the tweeter so is that maybe seventh or eighth order all up on the woofer? (I was playing with five last night but it was giving me a headache.)

Will this muddy the sound? What slopes should I use? and would it be best to set some of them up out of band?

GM

Joined 2003
Hmm, IME a WG XO'd 1st order near/at its LF roll off will be too distorted except possibly in a near-field app. Regardless, I have no experience with high order XOs except for dbx actives or similar, especially not such a lopsided one and with passives I find the proper offset before designing the cabs to keep it as simple as practical.

GM

OK then, but I may need quite a few poles as both drivers are approaching rolloff at the crossover frequency.

Dont forget about the roll-off from the waveguide. Lets say it is 12db per octave 2 poles combined with a 12db electrical also two poles will get you a 24db 4 pole acoustic crossover slope. I am thinking you are using the natural roll-off of the waveguide as the crossover point.

Rob:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.