Found: A Distributor of OEM Drivers

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
This might be old news, but I found it interesting, and wanted to share.

The Speaker Exchange

I've only perused this site briefly, but it looks like they carry some OEM drivers for replacement. I'm not sure if you could get spec's on them, so you'd have to have measurement gear. A DIY project with one of these beautiful OEM drivers would be cool, and different!

Check out this Klipsch 8", for example:

Klipsch RF3 K-1083 8" Woofer | The Speaker Exchange®

What a gorgeous looking driver! It might be a little harder to work with than a lot of 8's if it is in fact a metal cone, but if we can judge a book by its cover for a moment, it looks like it could be quite the performer.

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
From the same site:

Polk PSW505 12" Woofer | The Speaker Exchange®

A Polk Audio subwoofer for $80, that looks pretty nice. Polypropylene cone (I love poly cones, I can't help it - I'm stuck in 1994), bucking magnet, big surround. The basket simple basket and slight back-plate 'bump' suggest respectable excursion, but probably not as much as that surround would imply. Hopefully though, it's high compliance and low resonance - with a little sensitivity it might make a good low and clean (if not overly loud) sub. If I had to guess! :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2008
No problem, ra7 :)

This caught my eye for some reason:

Advent 2002, 3002, Amber, Prodigy, TWR 8" Woofer | The Speaker Exchange®

I like the classic sort of feel of a paper cone 8" with foam surround, and those lines where the tinsel leads are glued to the cone (I don't know what those are called!). I wonder how this driver would measure? It would fun to do a throw-back retro system with this and a nice dome.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.