Why do Klispch and JBL use titanium compression drivers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Titanium is used for tweeters because it's light and strong (v.rigid, TB made a 4" FR driver out of the stuff). Therefore, it's good tweeter building material. It won't squish as fabric domes can when subject to the extra pressure of horn loading.

Saying that one or the other sounds better/worse is dependant on variables and subjective opinions, so it'd be best to leave that out.

Chris

Have you actually had the opportunity to listen to a single system (same horn, same driver, same crossover etc) with and without a Titanium diaphragm? Was it a midrange horn or a tweeter horn?

I've heard the Klipsch RF series, F series, JBL Array 1400, LS series, Altec 399...

They all sound harsh.

After hearing B&C DE10, DE250, Beyma CP380 which are soft as silk and still extremely dynamic, its a mystery for me why someone would use titanium and aluminium diaphragms. I've heard beryllium in the JBL Everest, which sounded good tho.

I've heard the Klipsch RF series, F series, JBL Array 1400, LS series, Altec 399...

They all sound harsh.

After hearing B&C DE10, DE250, Beyma CP380 which are soft as silk and still extremely dynamic, its a mystery for me why someone would use titanium and aluminium diaphragms. I've heard beryllium in the JBL Everest, which sounded good tho.

One possibility is that it is not the diaphragms, but rather the different systems. It would be interesting to hold the horn / driver constant and swap different diapragms in and out.

As far as the Be in the Everest, now we are comparing systems with very different price points.

I would love to hear the various "no-cost considered" JBL systems.

Unless there are breakups in the passband then surely it is irrelevant? Then again, the Dayton RS52 2" aluminium dome midrange has a breakup at 13kHz so I suppose it's possible some compression drivers would too.

It may also possible you like the sound of the softer diaphragms as they have some give in the compression system where the titanium remains pistonic. I'm relatively unfamiliar with compression drivers though so I'll leave someone else to fill that one.

How about phenolic? Softer than metal but harder than poly.

Lots of older Klipsch drivers used phenolic. I think they sound good.

It seems it's fading out, not applied to many newer drivers.
I don't know any phenolic drivers that use phenolic diaphragms, there are (still) some 'mid' drivers out there that have them.

Those who'ver never used or taken a look at BMS (insane SPL, range beyond 20Khz in some models, etc) compression drivers, please do so (Polyester diaphragms), I feel this brand (among others) has advanced the most in this field, the vintage cd stuff from JBL, Klipsch etc that brings in big bucks isn't that interesting sound or constructionwise compared to this, next, generation imo.

The bottom of the line BMS driver which is very inviting to toy with at home (given price... and performance..)

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I have a pair of Altec 290 drivers with the phenolic 'frams. They aren't all that different from the Alu, expect they don't go as high. And they should behave better at high power, but I haven't measured that. They sure are pretty.

Celestion make compression drivers with film (PETP) 'fams and surrounds. They sound very nice. :up:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.