Cē95 mid-bass from Thiel & Partner (Accuton) - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2003, 08:10 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Cē95 mid-bass from Thiel & Partner (Accuton)

Has anybody used/heard these mid-bass units? The only distributor I know of in the country is 3000 miles away (in Perth)... and they are a little expensive... so if someone has any info on them it would be a help.

I was planning on mating them (MTM) with a G2 (or ESg2 or ATG2) ribbon and using Lambda bass units...
Old 1st July 2003, 02:19 PM   #2
uli is offline uli  Austria
diyAudio Member

Default gydotron

Hi Cloth (donīt know which oneīs your first name )
You might take a look at Gydotron

Uli

'Jazz is not dead, it just smells funny' F.Zappa
Old 2nd July 2003, 12:07 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks, Uli.

I'll send a note off to Gydotron in the hopes that he(?) can speak English. It sure looks likes he's about to build a unit using the C95's (the Gydolon MKIII) although I can't read the language of the site - is it German?. And after the beautiful units he's got there already (Eidolon clones) it sounds like he's happy with the Accuton sound.

I've only seen one other post regarding these units - where the design was 4 of these wired in series/parallel, in 2 boxes, mounted above and below a Raven R3. But that would be a little too expensive for me...
Old 2nd July 2003, 06:58 AM   #4
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

hi,

I'm using C95T6 with C12 in a 2way bass reflex box. Those are great drivers - very accurate, smooth and natural sounding, but there is a lot of work to get the crossover right. C95 has large peak at ca. 4,5kHz so you need a notch there and regarding that I wouldn't recommend crossing it over to tweeter much higher than 2,5kHz. As you are going for 3way maybe C88 would be a better choice? Look also at distorsion graphs.

regards,
Vuki
Old 2nd July 2003, 01:07 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Okay,

the language of gydotron
is dutch (not german )
You can online translate is with : translingo . Just type in the URL of the website : www.gydotron.com and it will popup in english.
I've to inform you that the mkIII is indefinte on hold....

Ralph

(living in holland (no province of germany) where they speak dutch but aren't dutch)
Old 2nd July 2003, 02:25 PM   #6
AndersP is offline AndersP  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi.

To me those drivers come out a little on the expensive side. Not much bang for the buck, to be blunt.
Linkwitz posted an article on his site " distortion tests ":

http://www.linkwitzlab.com./mid_dist.htm

The ceramic drivers didnīt come out that well really.

I wouldnīt have any of those drivers on my top list. I would go for something like Audax, Peerless HDS 134 or Seas Excel M15 instead.
Old 2nd July 2003, 02:43 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Peter Daniel
Kharma Ceramique won loudspeaker of the year 2002 in Absolute Sound magazine, rivaling Rocport Hyperions ($91,000). Also, some other well regarded loudspeakers are using Accuton drivers. Although, years ago, I was not impressed with them, with proper implementation, they might be good indeed.
http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?684
http://www.stereophile.com/printarchives.cgi?756
http://search.msn.com/results.asp?FO...0ceramique&X=1
“Do something really well. See how much time it takes. It might be a product, a work of art, who knows? Then give it away cheaply, just because you feel that it should not cost so much, even if it took a lot of time and expensive materials to make it.” - JC
Old 2nd July 2003, 02:55 PM   #8
vuki is offline vuki  Croatia
diyAudio Member

Hi Anders,

Accutons are expensive but I think they are worth it. With all due respect to Mr Linkwitz, I think that his measurements don't tell much about how any of tested drivers sound, because they indeed have their own "sound". Of course not everyone has the same taste, so to each his own... For example; I worked with Linkwitz's beloved "big yellow" SS, but wasn't enchanted with it's sound, although it's really nice driver to work with -efficient, smooth and relatively wide ranged. I also worked with Excel 17cm magnesium drivers which are somewhat like Accutons - smooth with a large resonant peak, and showed very good results in Linkwitz's test, but their sound is very different than Accutons- to my ears they sound to "polite" - as if dynamics is compressed, and I had the same feeling listening to them in Jamo Concert 8's, and some Joseph Audio's. On the other hand - I liked the sound of Kharma, Avalon and some other speakers (can't remember the name) that used Accuton drivers, very much, and I also find my Accutons to sound great.

regards,
Vuki
Old 2nd July 2003, 03:25 PM   #9
AndersP is offline AndersP  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Hi vuki.

To be more specific, it is more the high price than any technical deficiencies that catches my attention with the Accuton drivers and as Peter Daniel states: they can be quite a handful to get right.

What you say about taste is ofcourse extremely relevant and the only thing that counts in the end.

The Seas driver I was referring to is not one of the magnesium ones. Itīs a customized midrange with a pp cone:

Click the image to open in full size.

http://www.seas.no/excel_line/excel/E0016.PDF
Old 2nd July 2003, 04:56 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I've never heard acuton drivers, but i would really like to build a speaker with them.

The guy I buy my parts from rates them very high, especially the tweeters.

You can take a look at http://www.diyparadiso.com/advicespeak1.htm

He doesn't really like the bass drivers though.

I don't think you will be dissapointed in them.

Hide this!Advertise here!