onken Onken w or A7 or Valencia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My experience with Onken speaker

I have them since 10 years and I still try to find the best amplifier to match them. For me, transistors amplifiers like the Hiraga 20W amplifier gives too dry sound. These speakers with Altec 416 gives what I will call light (or lean) bass. Just for the low bass, the best I tried is a Classe DR3 VHC monster. The low bass had authority but like (all) transistor amps I tried, the 100 to 600 hz lacks body. Presently, I use a pair of Melos SE-75 monoblocks that don't have the killer low end of the DR3VHC but it has the right mid bass for my taste. Previously, before the onken 360L, I had the Altec A5 which I loved but below 50 hz, there's nothing. I remember that the A5 had the most charming low mid I miss with the Onken. About Onken distorsion, jean Hiraga wrote that this speaker with an Altec 416-8a is quite spectacular. Here what he wrote: For a 100 DB/1M level, distorsion is lower than 0.80 % at 33hz and 0.2 % between 60hz to 600 hz. That's quite good. I presently use a vintage Sony TA4300F electronic crossover just for the bass. This crossover can do a 6 db boost near 35-40 hz to give more thump in the lower register. Without this correction, i find this speaker unlistenable. In my room, this gives a flat curve to 35 hz but I have a -6 db between 45-50 hz. (verified with a spectrum analyzer) , This curious because one of my friend who has Onken W speakers has the same problem in his room. His w don't seem to go as low as my 360L goes. I will never forget the w when I heard them at Maison de l'Audiophile in Paris in 84. There was a cd named the Pulse that had a closed garage door sound which gave the real impression of being there. Here are my onkens.

Attachments

• 360l.jpg
    360l.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 475
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.