OMNI Gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Is there much interests in Omni-Directional loudspeakers out there?

Please post.

I'll start with One of the well-known DIY designs

PLUTO-2.1 omni-directional loudspeaker

pluto-cfp-et-al_2.jpg

DSC-42.jpg

resp2.gif

The SoundSphere

Model Q-15 Loudspeakers
High power, high fidelity foreground music with enhanced low frequency response and high SPL capability in single or multiple speaker systems. Ideal for gymnasiums, ice rinks, churches, swim centers, open public areas, bars and nightclubs.

Soundsphere // Omnidirectional Loudspeakers & Speaker Systems

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Thanks for the reference -- those were mine. I wanted to point out that the graph is of the vertical response variations. Horizontally there is virtually no response variation due to geometry.

Also, shouldn't leave out the most famous of the omnis:

MBL:
1004mbl.1.jpg

Duevel:
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Omnis can sound very good, but there is a problem if you want a wide sweet spot -- you can't toe them in! So, for front channels, at least, I've moved to Controlled Directivity designs.

Celtic Obelisk

Obelisk - Celtic Audio Ltd.

A smooth acoustic response from 28Hz to over 20KHz brings an uncanny degree of realism to the sound, be it music or voice. Careful attention to phase and timing accuracy only made possible by our active processing coupled with the omni-directional radiation of higher frequencies brings the performers into your room and allows you the freedom to hear the same clear reproduction wherever you choose to sit (or stand!)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.