OMNI Gallery

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ohm Micro-Walsh Tall SE

StereoTimes - Commentary

"Incredibly large sweet spot with a layered 3-D soundstage"

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzOhmWalsh.jpg

active 3 way

photo.JPG

The midwoofer and tweeter tubes are dangerously short. They could make some nice "organ pipes" or they require unreasonable amounts of damping material.

Yes, they are shorter - this is true. I've prototyped a number of assemblies - including versions with more 'regular' length tubes. I've also considered the standing wave frequencies and added 'reasonable' amounts of damping material.

However, I'm also relatively new to this and likely don't have the experience and insights that others may have.

So, if you (or others) can let me know what your concerns are I can then perhaps address them with either my current experience or new testing that I can do on the different versions of the prototypes. I do have access to an 'echoless' chamber and some other testing equipment. I am happy to do what I can to look into your concerns.

Cheers,

A

Last edited:
Hi A,
no offense meant. I ran into the issue myself with the midwoofer and no damping could fix it.
Just put a mic very close to the membranes and measure the frequency response with periodic noise at loud enough levels. Then you might see the fundamental resonance and some of its multiples that are re-radiated through the membranes easily.
What subs are you using and where are the x-over points ?
BTW, I like the look !

Oliver

Hi A,
no offense meant. I ran into the issue myself with the midwoofer and no damping could fix it.
Just put a mic very close to the membranes and measure the frequency response with periodic noise at loud enough levels. Then you might see the fundamental resonance and some of its multiples that are re-radiated through the membranes easily.
What subs are you using and where are the x-over points ?
BTW, I like the look !

Oliver

No problem - I appreciate the thoughts. My ears can't tell any difference at this point. I'll measure as you suggest and let you know what I find.

The sub is a generic Peerless 10" woofer and my xo points are more-or-less 100Hz and 1000hz.

photo.JPG

Yes, they are shorter - this is true. I've prototyped a number of assemblies - including versions with more 'regular' length tubes. I've also considered the standing wave frequencies and added 'reasonable' amounts of damping material.

However, I'm also relatively new to this and likely don't have the experience and insights that others may have.

So, if you (or others) can let me know what your concerns are I can then perhaps address them with either my current experience or new testing that I can do on the different versions of the prototypes. I do have access to an 'echoless' chamber and some other testing equipment. I am happy to do what I can to look into your concerns.

Cheers,

A

Pluto 2.0 and 2.1 use 200g of damping material each speaker.

No tweeter?
Fullrange? pointing at ceiling.
Treble is more directional from a fullrange than from the small radiating area of the diaphragm of a tweeter, if you did not add a forward radiating tweeter or flooder device what would you expect?
the treble would be more open and airy with more direct treble.
Very large, hardly a point source.

No wonder a dipole worked better.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.