Uber cheap open baffle line arrays -- almost done

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

/me grumbles at bad digital cameras

So there they are, prototypes almost finished. The drivers used are:

12 - 10" Pioneer ($59.88)
32 - 4" Pioneer ($28.80)
48 - 1" Onkyo ($24.00)

All Parts Express buyouts coming to a grand total of $112.68. The mids/tweets are rear mounted with a rounded edge to provide a slight flare.

Configured as a 3-way, the current crossover I'm playing with is a 24dB/octave Linwitz@3500Hz and a 12dB/octave @180Hz for the mid/tweets and mid/woofers, respectively.

So, now to the subjective opinion...

Good:
- dynamic
- efficient
- loud
- zero box coloration
- spacious "larger than life" sound
- impresses people with the sheer size
- cheap!

Bad:
- cheap drivers are, well, cheap
- needs eqing. I've been using the bass tone control to some good effect, but there are some frequencies that require a bit more finesse
- imaging is a bit loose
- spacious "larger than life" sound -- some tracks sound great, but others are downright exaggerated
- expensive crossovers
- huge!

So there are alot of bad along with the good. I don't have the measuring equipment necessary to give any objective measurements, but I know these are far from reference quality. However, they are really good party speakers ;)

They are also good enough to make me want to do it again. Line arrays are by no means easy to construct. I mean, 92 holes? Yeesh. For the price, these are hard to beat. Especially if you have the space. So while I try to talk my SO into letting me spend more time building the next set of boxes, I'll just enjoy the music.

cheers

-Ricky

Nice... Very nice.

Did you get any nasty problems like comb filtering and the such? With all those tweeters, I've seen line arays done with ribbons, but never domes or cones (maybe I just didn't look hard enough).

Oh, but they do look nice, and all those 10" woofers (no matter what the price) do look impressive indeed.

They look pretty cool!

Your imaging would improve with some toe-in. Also you don't want anything in front of the speakers in the middle if possible. So move them forward and toe them in.

Since this is a prototype, is there any way to build the lines closer together. The further apart the more likely combing will form.

Also consider that a lot of the negatives you mentioned can be affected by the crossover.

Of course if distortion is built into a driver, you can normally do almost nothing to get it out.

James

JoeBob - I've heard comb filtering from two other designs that I tried and the effects were dramatic. With these, I can move around alot in the room and not hear any comb lines. I was a bit worried because of the 2.25" spacing between the tweeters, but the effect is not noticable to me.

jmiyake - Good point on the toe-in. I was so ecstatic to get the last box put together and hooked up that I forgot about positioning.

I could potentially move the woofers and mids closer together if I put them in the same box, but I don't think there would be much of an effect considering the x-over point. The tweeter I used are an odd oblong shape and I had to trim down the faceplates to get the vertical spacing as close as possible. I could trim a bit off the sides, but I'm hoping to run across some other tweeters that can reach down low enough to work with the 4s.

There's quite a bit of crossover work to play around with, but I'll need to pick up some decent measuring equipment before I can realistically attack that.

Thanks for the feedback!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.