Simulating No Baffle speakers - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 9th August 2010, 10:32 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Simulating No Baffle speakers

It is interesting to note that the well reputed Hornresp programme also could be used to simulate OB speakers with No Baffle, like in this example with the 18Sound 6Nd430 speaker. This is the input, the speaker surface and the cone surface notably and then just assign a dummy diminutive horn to the speaker, like this:

Click the image to open in full size.

and calculate the resulting radius with respect to the speaker surface to obtain the no-baffle response:

I will hang this 6Nd430 in rubber bands, I think !

/Erling

Last edited by skorpion; 9th August 2010 at 10:56 PM.
Old 9th August 2010, 10:54 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Thanks, it is a nice trick

If this code can simulate the low frequency, it becomes very problematic in the treble. In my opinion it is very false Because the cone behavior is not very well simulated.

It will be very interesting to compare result between the software of MJK, John k., Basta, Hornresp etc.

Old 10th August 2010, 05:03 AM   #3
CLS is offline CLS  Taiwan
diyAudio Member

By Edge:

6ND430:

Alpair 12:

The wider frame of the Alpair 12 forms a "bigger baffle" and has 1dB more dipole peak.
Old 10th August 2010, 06:02 PM   #4
Rudolf is offline Rudolf  Germany
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skorpion View Post
It is interesting to note that the well reputed Hornresp programme also could be used to simulate OB speakers with No Baffle ...
Erling, you finally got me to take a first look at Hornresp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerome69 View Post
If this code can simulate the low frequency, it becomes very problematic in the treble.
Apparently the program does simulate the power response. This should roll off more rapidly than the on-axis response with rising frequency, because a driver on almost no baffle will already beam when reaching its first dipole peak.

Quote:
It will be very interesting to compare result between the software of MJK, John k., Basta, Hornresp etc.
This is a simulation with Boxsim, using the factory TSP. Boxsim does not accept BL values in the TSP set. That results in unprecise absolute SPL values, if you don't have SPL and impedance curves as input.

The dipole dips as shown in the HR sim will not show in real life and the roll-off will not be as rapid, but the first dipole peak is well done.

Rudolf
Attached Images
File Type: gif 18sound 6ND430_1.gif (29.8 KB, 248 views)
Old 12th August 2010, 09:04 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Rudolf, yes I think Hornresp should be paid attention. Thanks for your comments. To give antoher angle I simulated with the MJK model, the same baffle surface area as the 6ND430 has as speakerarea and the result is like this:

Speaker was carefully placed with center 1 meter above floor and measured at 1 meter on axis. This result is interesting and probably more realistic than the Hornresp simu. But it also confirms very well your Boxsim result. However Hornresp is some 5 dB more efficient. This is very tempting to test in reality. And as the 6ND430 with no pain should be able to take a lot of EQ at 200-250 Hz I will do the test. I also have some radical bass plan.

Did you look at the Ripole discussion over at the Subwoofer area ?

/Erling

Hide this!Advertise here!