Electrostatic Speakers & Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, so does bending the diaphram solve problems of beaming? or create more problems? Maybe it doesn't have to be a cylander...although I kinda still like that idea. How about 3 cylanders, one be like a tweeter....and the others be like mids...MTM if you will...and have the "super absorber" inside the cylanders be absorbent to those respective freqencies. More work than its worth? I don't know. I'm just talking as I'm thinking. I'm curious is all as to how to solve the problem of these ESL's "beaming". At Sheldon's page...he was showing freq graphs that got weird at even 1 or 2 degrees off axis! How about an ESL that is bent to a 1/4 cylander in the corner of the room? Just an idea. I need to read up on the subject i know...I will :)

-Matthew K. Olson

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

2. Please point me to some links so I can learn more about amps, how they work & why some designs are better than others (especially for electrostatics).

With respect to elecrtostatics and amplifiers a logical way to go is the OTL topology, be that tubed or with semis on the output since 9/10 you'll find a step up xformer at the input of your speaker.

While OTLs are pretty straightforward using complementary semiconductors, they're certainly no bed of roses once you opt for tubes.

I've used the latter on a variety of speakers amongst which a number of ESLs without problem.YMMV.

Recommending links or books is a bit harder since I've no idea about your knowledge of electronics...at any rate I always heartily recommend the excellent Tubecad site which is both well written and not overly technical to most of us:

TUBECAD

Cheers,;)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that part of the reason ESL sound so good is because they beam.

Also, even though the Martin Logans are curved, they still have a definite sweet spot much like flat panels. IMHO, the sound is better in the sweet spot of flat panals than it is in the sweet spot of curved panels.

Also cylindar wouldn't really work I don't think since ESL's put out as much sound behind them as they do in front. The opposing diaphrams would interfear with eachother. If you used an absorbing material you will still have to deal with a "venetian blind effect."

A quote from Roger Sanders, "The ESL cookbook":

"In an attempt to duplicate a pulsating cylindar, designers build small panels and place them around the surface of an imaginary cylindar...The resulting speaker produces several discrete beams going in many directions. Unfortunately, the beams don't blend...When you move around in front of such a speaker, the high frequencies come and go as though the sound is comming through a series of slots... The image is seriously compromised."

This in addition to the excess amount of work involved makes is impractical in my opinion.

In regards to the amp of choice: I am currently about to being using a leach amp to power my panels. I'll let you know how it works out. BTW, this amp can easily be built for under 300 dollars.

Good luck,

Wes

Ok, so make a curved panel that is 1/4" round. That way sound does go in all directions owing to the fact that the esl puts out sound behind it. I know...I definitely need to read the ESL cookbook, and I will as soon as i get some $$ to buy one...etc etc. Maybe I'll end up making my own ESL too. :) We'll see. Thanks for the brain stimulation anyway :)

-Matthew K. Olson

Leach Amps

I am going to second what was said by Wes, these amps (at least at the stage I am at, in prossess) are easy to build and doable. On word of advice, DO NOT spend hours on the setup, buy boards, developer and etch just to make the nessesary boards yourself. I think you'll get much better and accurate results if you just constuct his board in a PCB layout design program and send the plans off to someone like pcbexpress. While the costs of having boards professionally done seems like alot, ($50), the startup costs of etching your own boards are easily double this amount. Getting these boards done proffesionally will make your life easier in the long run.

Of course, this being a DIY site, I supposed we couldn't get to mad at you if you decide to etch your own boards as I did.....

Oh, and the leach link:
http://users.ece.gatech.edu/~mleach/lowtim/

Good Luck. Employ the one hand rule.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.