Electrostatic Speakers & Amp - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st July 2003, 11:44 PM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Hi,

Quote:
Power isn't necessarily a good indicator. What is necessary is to be able to drive a heavily reactive load.
A highly capacitve load is what ELSs reflect to the amp.
So much so that some sand amps baulk at it to the point that they spit out their protective fuses at a mere switch on.

As Christopher points out an OTL amp is close to the ideal for driving a xformer coupled ESL...

Another more complex route is doing away with the step up xformer alltogether.
Not that easy to achieve and the amp will be closely married to that speaker and little else.

This always involves exposure to high, lethal, voltages for the DIYer,so you'd better know what you're up against.

Cheers,
Old 2nd July 2003, 12:38 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

I've been repairing both models of the Quads for going on a decade now. I've also built a number of ESL's. I'll be glad to talk about how and what I did. My current favorite of my ESL's are here:

http://quadesl.com/diy_esl1.shtml

This pair cost me about $750, but don't forget you'll need four channels of amps.

Sheldon
Old 2nd July 2003, 01:57 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default Nice

Well done Sheldon! Looks like you crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's. Nice. I'll go over the whole page when I've got time. I'm sure I could learn lot's!

I'm hoping to have a TL woofer mated to an ESL driven by my OTL's someday in the future. Likely, I'll go for high power SS for the woofer.

How's that for acronymity?

Chris
Old 2nd July 2003, 02:38 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the input everyone.

Sheldon those ESLs are very nice, and the slide show walk thru made the project seem much less intimidating than what felt after reading ESL Design cookbook. What did you use for the film & what coating??
Old 2nd July 2003, 12:09 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to Mattyo5
Just a quick theory question.... if the "ideal" speaker is a vibrating sphere, and the "ideal" line array is a vibrating cylander from floor to ceiling, why not do an ESL that is completely bent into a cylander? How complicated could this be? and....would it ruin the response? or solve all the ills of the world? I'm not an expert...just curious

-Matthew K. Olson
Old 2nd July 2003, 10:12 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

For driving capacitive loads, the best solution is to build Leach amp. It can drive 1uF on output terminals happily!!

Supernet
Old 2nd July 2003, 10:20 PM   #17
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Matthew, it's not clear that the "ideal" speaker is a point source or a line source or something else. Those just happen to be easy cases to solve the equations. We tend to be like the drunk who's looking for his keys under the streetlight even though he dropped them in a dark spot 50 feet away; it's just that it's easier to see in the light.

In any event, cylindrical ESLs have a fundamental problem stemming from the acoustic transparency of the membrane. Think of the part facing you directly as zero degrees. Now the element exactly 180 degrees away is radiating away from you in phase with what the zero degree element is radiating toward you. But... the backwave of the 180 degree element is also radiating toward you and will set up a comb filtered response for the direct wave because of its distance from the zero degree element. You could put some sort of perfect absorber inside the cylinder; when you find one of those, let me know.
Old 2nd July 2003, 10:36 PM   #18
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

I always figured for a perfect line source that a 4-space "cyclinder" moving in & out of 3-space would be good approach. Some practical issues with our current atate of technology thou.

dave
Old 2nd July 2003, 10:43 PM   #19
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hey, Dave, do you want me to post a schematic on that? It's pretty easy; it's just a matter of coupling the photon torpedoes with the warp coil, then reversing the phase. The acoustic wave is then generated in the transporter.
Old 2nd July 2003, 11:00 PM   #20
frugal-phile(tm)
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Originally posted by SY
do you want me to post a schematic on that?
Hey yea... does the S in SY stand for Scotty?

An aside: we can't be too far from transparent aluminum, i picked up some transparent duct tape the other day.

dave

Hide this!Advertise here!