D130

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gary Angermeier said:
I have come across a pair of JBL D130. can anyone help me with their spec's

Fs = 40Hz
Vas = 300
Qes = 0.27
Qms = 4
Qts = 0.253
Sd = 896 cm^2
Diam = 15"
Xmax = 0.8mm
Le = 0.6mH
Re = 6.3 ohms
Mms = 60g
Bl = 18.7
Sens = 102.2 @ 1W/1m/8R

Suitable for guitars or make a good horn loaded midbass driver.

Gary, it depends how you plan to use them.

For a direct radiator*, 4-500Hz max
In a straight horn, about 500Hz, but the mass rolloff will have limited the HF by there anyway. Fhm = 2Fs/Qes = 80/.27 = 296Hz for -3dB, so probably 450-500Hz for -6dB
In a folded horn, the folding geometry will determine the HF response, to less than the straight horn.
In a guitar cab, run them wide open.

*These drivers have no Xmax, so they're not going to give any bass, and what there is will be distorted, as the cone will be moving a fair amount of it's limit at any sensible level. I'm also not sure how well they'll model in a sealed or BR box. As I said, best for guitars or horns, as they were designed as musical instrument drivers. Excellent drivers for what they are.

D130 is classified as full range speaker on JBL info. It will be a good companion with 175DLH horn (1200Hz X'over) or 075 tweeter (2400Hz X'over) In my opinion, plywood enclosures are much better than those MDF boxes for these monsters.
You will love them for sure!

Re: What is "wide open"?

Gary Angermeier said:
"In a guitar cab, run them wide open" How does that relate to watts

I meant no xover, just direct connect them to the amp. The power rating is 75W, but I'd take that with a grain of salt, ie be a little conservative as recone kits are very expensive and I presume you don't know they've been babied their whole life. If you're going to use them for geetar, two in a cabinet with a decent head unit will play very loud. Bet it'll sound good too.

Boogie

Hi,
I would make a 2x12 cabinet like the Mesa Boogie.
1x12 in a sealed part the 2nd in an open cabinet and
drive them with a 4xEL34 or 6L6 guitar amp like the
Mk. IV or a 100W Marshall guitar head!

PS: this JBL rating of 75W is VERY conservative!
I played a Boogie Mk. II with one D130 for years!

Uli:nod: :nod: :nod:

Reviving a dead thread instead of making a duplicate:

I've got some D130's that I'm gonna use for Hifi, but I don't want to blow them. They'll be paired with horn tweeters.

This speaker was produced for a very long time. Are they ALL rated at 75w rms or should I watch out for lower ratings?

I've got some D130's that I'm gonna use for Hifi, but I don't want to blow them. They'll be paired with horn tweeters.

This speaker was produced for a very long time. Are they ALL rated at 75w rms or should I watch out for lower ratings?
All D130s are rated at 75 watts, which will produce 120 dB at one meter in the midrange. Unless you are deaf, or try to get a lot of low bass from them, you have little to worry about from a power standpoint.

Earliest models have a plain paper former, and can only handle 60W program, or 30W RMS.

Newer models have Nomex (used in fireproof suits) formers and will handle about twice that amount.

They will sound their best in a rear-loaded horn, and crossed around 1200hz or so.

C34

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.