Silly mistake

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I've built my first 2-way project (original thread here) and I like how they sound so far although they are a bit bass shy.

Anyhow, as an impulse buy I ended up buying a Yaqin Vk-2100 hybrid amplifier off ebay to drive them and noticed right after the unit had shipped that it only handled 8 ohm loads. After contacting the seller he mentionned that it does not like 4 ohms loads and runs really hot and could get damaged.

I've been googling all day to find a solution to this and see if there was any way to change the impedance load of my towers (my first reflex was to simply add a resistance in series) only to realize that things weren't that simple.

So here's the question: Is there an easy solution to this, besides selling the amp and buying one that handles 4 ohms loads? Could I use an l-pad for he fr125s to help with the bass shyness and "adjust" the impedance load at the same time (at least increase it a little to make it easier on the amp)?

Thanks in advance!
E.

Last edited:
Hi,

Unless I'm mistaken (and I can very well be since I'm new at this) the fr125s has an Re of 7 ohms and the impedance curve is fairly flat over the crossover point, same for the sdx7 at 6.4 ohms and both are connected in parallel that would be around 3.something ohms.

As far as my crossover being wonked that's also a possibility :) however I went with a first order XO to try and not mess it up to much.

The amp as a loudness comp but no EQ.

Funny story: I took me a while to figure out why no sound was coming out of the sdx7... I didn't know you had to strip the red coating of the inductor wires :D

Live a learn I say :)
E.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.