between 2X audax and 1X peerless

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just found out about a Australian supplier of sensibily priced Audax drivers. Made me think twice.

I can choose between 2(yes 2) Audax Paper cone HP170G0 and use them in a low power MTM config or TM Peerless HDS two way.

The disadvantages of Audax: The audax drivers have a puny magnet for a 6.5" driver, the Fs is much higher (51Hz), low Xmax (3.5mm each -- but theres two of them anyway) and very low power handling (45W). I would really want the audax HDA, but they are out of my price range.
And they aren't as well known as the Peerless or their HDA brothers.

The disadvantages of Peerless HDS: Less Xmax(5.5mm) than the 2 audax drivers combined(7mm). I can only use one of them. :)

note: For those who ask why dont I just buy one high end Audax driver--- the AUdax drivers generally have really crap X-max each, thus have really crap bass extension compared to other offerings, hence I need two of them.

what do you think...which choice should I go for?

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2002
A lot of speaker manufacturers quote Xmax as the maximum between both front and back displacement, wheras Audax do it just one way, from the rest position. I don't know how Peerless measure Xmax, but be aware that it might only be half of what you think it is;)

The Audax paper cones are generally nice drivers, so don't worry about their apparent cheapness. However if you can get the budget HDA drivers, the ones with the plastic baskets like the AP170Z0, I would recommend them highly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.