Closed or Vented box?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi.

I want to build a box to my Morel UW1058.
This woofer can play in vented box and with close box.

In the closed box, I need around only 40 liter to get 44Hz/-3dB and 27Hz/-8dB.(not in room)

With 50 liter vented box the bass come to 25Hz/-3dB and 17Hz/-8dB. (not in room)

Most people say that closed box sound better with better slam and dynamic.

So what is better?
close or vented?

Thank you.

I'd go with closed because once you add room gain you can expect boost in the lower end. The rate of gain tends to more closely match that of a closed box than a vented box. With a vented box you might end up with a "hump" in the response near the low end where room gain has acted on an already flat output which has then dropped away quite sharply.

I'm using closed boxes with -3dB at 57Hz (-10dB at 33Hz) in a small room and it doesn't sound like anything is missing, great dynamics. Yours should sound great in a larger room :)

Hi.

I want to build a box to my Morel UW1058.
This woofer can play in vented box and with close box.

In the closed box, I need around only 40 liter to get 44Hz/-3dB and 27Hz/-8dB.(not in room)

With 50 liter vented box the bass come to 25Hz/-3dB and 17Hz/-8dB. (not in room)

Most people say that closed box sound better with better slam and dynamic.

So what is better?
close or vented?

Thank you.

what is the Qts ?

Manufactures usually quote lower numbers than when measured, with such a high Qts i would go sealed .....

That aside and in answering your question, Vented enclosures sound more natural than sealed with better dynamics, speed and slam ..... IMO ... Of course horses for courses and in certain applications there could be an advantage with going sealed ( small room ) .

Last edited:
why not build 50 l sealed, and experiment with sealed / vented / aperiodic to decide what you like

personally, if you can get the ported box tuned right, it should sound more dynamic whereas the sealed would be more accurate, the aperiodic should be somewhere in between

Is this for home theater or music

I think I change my UW1058 to UW1258 because the sensitivity.
So with the 12" i need only sealed.

And this speakers for music.

Ideas?

Hi Audist.
Martin Colloms in his book "High Performance Loudspeakers" has an interesting section where he discusses the subjective evaluation of sealed and vented boxes. Let us assume that the two different designs are competently built.....(if so the sealed box will have only half the rate of attenuation of the vented enclosure after resonance).
He makes the point that a sealed box with a higher resonance (i.e. less bandwidth) will usually sound better than the vented enclosure that has a lower -3db point but steeper slopes. Now this is from the First edition (1978) and I don't think he was prepared to offer a theoretical reason for this effect other than a tentative suggestion about phase.....but my memory is not reliable at this point. Need to check.

But the idea of doing BOTH is attractive for a DIYer. Good luck. Jonathan

Hi Audist.
Martin Colloms in his book "High Performance Loudspeakers" has an interesting section where he discusses the subjective evaluation of sealed and vented boxes. Let us assume that the two different designs are competently built.....(if so the sealed box will have only half the rate of attenuation of the vented enclosure after resonance).
He makes the point that a sealed box with a higher resonance (i.e. less bandwidth) will usually sound better than the vented enclosure that has a lower -3db point but steeper slopes. Now this is from the First edition (1978) and I don't think he was prepared to offer a theoretical reason for this effect other than a tentative suggestion about phase.....but my memory is not reliable at this point. Need to check.

But the idea of doing BOTH is attractive for a DIYer. Good luck. Jonathan

Only rings through if both speakers have the same -6db point. that would take a very poorly designed BR system for that to happen ...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.