Has anyone ever heard of Speakerlabs?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm interested in finding out about the old and now gone business in Vancouverl BC called Speakerlabs. I have a pair of their speakers. The cabinets look to be about 90liters and have dual 12" Vultan woofers, single 3" hokutone dome mids, and unkown deep aluminum horn tweeters.

The crossovers are quite large with numerous coils and caps and resistors, labelled "DISCO" on the back of each xover board in black stencil lettering.

Each unit with drivers in weighs 83 pounds.

The cabinets are jet black veneer on all surfaces except the bottom which is bare wood. The speakers have a somewhat medium efficiency and will "eat up" a 300watt amplifier like nothing. That's almost enough to get them "moving", kinda shakes the house around a bit but could handle way more power.

I'll post a pic of them here.

Attachments

• speakers.jpg.jpg
    speakers.jpg.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 469
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus
Joined 2001
Duo said:
Also, does anybody recognise the little cylinder shaped speaker on top of the sub box? It resembles a very small Ohm Acoustics speaker and has very nice sound. I use it as an omni directional center channel.

You mean you can see an elongated speaker cone being driven by a voice coil at it's point?

The reason I ask is because Pioneer came out in the seventies with a circular mid/tweeter using piezoelectric film. It had a shape similar to your cylinder, but of course did not work on a magnetic principle.

The cylindrical speaker looks like it might be a JR (I think that was the name). A british company started in the 70s by a guy (Jim Rogers, if memory serves) who had been at one of the more highly regarded speaker manufacturers (Rogers, I think -- he had to use his initials, not his name for obvious reasons). The speaker was a little two way made to compete with the LS35a and was very positively reviewed by HiFi News and Record Review. It was made of a half cylinder with mesh grill with foam and wooden end caps held on with a tensioning bolt.
Your speaker differs in having more ornamentation -- the wooden posts and fancy top and bottom, and it lacks the foam. Since part of the idea was to maximise SAF (which was known at the time as Wife Acceptance Factor), the lack of foam would be a serious issue, fancy posts or not, since exposed drivers automatically earn a SAF of zero (according to John Crabbe or whoever came up the the rules to begin with).

Okay, well, then... I'll look into it some more. I really like the speaker anyway, it's excellent as a center channel. I bet if i had two of them they would make an excellent stereo pair for a SE class A tube amplifier. The omnidirectional sound from it is amazing and you can go anywhere in the room and get "sweet spot" sound. Gotta love that, no more painful hours of listening with head in vice! hahaha. :)

Well, keep the ideas coming. Anybody ever seen the large black ones though? I'd really be interested in finding out what type the are.

Well, signing off, I'm at flight school right now.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.