modding my Klipsch KG-2.5's- some advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
OK, I am currently knee-deep in countless DIY projects. I want to build a new headphone amp, redo ALL my interconnects with nicer DIY ones (made from CAT5 cable), mod my Sennheiser headphones to make them more open and dynamic, change their cables, and re-do my KGs to make them sound better. So, I prioritzed- will make cables, will redo speakers, will build headphone amp, will hold off on tweaking Senns. That being said... lets get to what I see is wrong with the KGs as of now:

*acoustic damping foam is just laid in there, not form fitting to the sides of the enclsoure or anything... doesn't even fit anyway at all...
*hookup wire is a mere 16 or 18 guage
*binding posts are gold plated on outside, but not on inside...
*inductors are using 20, 22, maybe even 24 guage wire... WAY too small
*electrolytic caps on woofer low-pass
*cheap looking metallized poly caps on tweeter high pass
*resistors are *probably* not non-inductive

Ok.... that being said... things must change. hehe

I don't know what hookup wire to use... I may have to put some by-wire posts on these things and use an external xover since the components will be huge compared to the originals- they fit on a board about 3x6... a 14 guage air-core inductor is probably 3x3 :eek: . So, i ask you all:

*If I use that egg shell foam stuff, and actually cut it to fit the sides of the enclosure, AND glue it to the sides do you think it would be better?
*If I used CAT5 cable and paralleled four 24-guage conductors for positive and negative (using one full cable per speaker) would it be better? Or should I get some 14-12-guage cable?
*Upgrade binding posts to ones that are gold through and through- better? I would like to use copper, but I cannot afford them at $30 per pair. Does silver sound better? Or is it harsh sounding? (I have heard it is tinny)
*If I increase the guage of inductors, I will have less resistance, so it will yield somewhat better sound, right?
*Ridding myself of the electrolytics cannot be bad...
*Upgrading the other caps couldn't hurt... Solen caps good for all?
*How about some nice Mills non-inductive resistors instead of what's there?

All in all, sound good? Thanks all ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.