Autosound subwoofers in a Home Theater environment

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was wondering if there really is a substantial difference in the frequency response of a car audio subwoofer that might make it less then adequate for Home Theater. I would assume that subs made for autosound are probably designed with a car's low frequency boost in mind.

I'm asking because I have here a powered Radio Shack subwoofer that has a perfectly fine box and 100 watts RMS of good power, but the driver is pretty skimpy. I want to replace this 4 ohm driver with a better inexpensive one, and I have great access to some slightly older car audio 10" drivers for next to nothing out of pocket.

The Oz Audio (older style) sub I have in my car now sounded absolutely perfect when I was testing it out in my house, but I feel the Oz is one of the better subs ever made, so it might be good anywhere, ya know?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.