Behringer CX2310?

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is this good enough for my Altec 604-8H's? Decent price for them here in Canada. I know they're not the 2496's but I'm not sure I'm that sophisticated. ;)

Also if I am using RCA type equipment is it OK use over the counter adapter RCA to XLR adapter cables?

What are your thoughts/experiences?

Thanks for all input.

Behringer CX2310 Super-X Pro Crossover 2-Way/3-Way | Parts-Express.com

Seems like a real bargain if it meets your needs. My only comment would be on Behringer reliability. When we measured one of their loudspeakers recently the amp in one died. On the street the low reliability is well know. But performance per dollar when it works is second to none. German designed, Chinese made, if they ever get the reliability sorted out they would be hard to beat for value.

Balanced XLR to unbalanced RCA is no problem if you (or the manufacturer) does this right. All too often its done wrong and the technique gets a bad name.

For $80 it's hard to beat. It's a generic LR24 variable F xover with no extra features like EQ. Should be fine and lots of others brands like Ashley or Rane will do the same job but will probably cost more even second hand. Behringer reliability was once poor, but I know plenty of home users with no problems, even a few with both CX xovers. I have 3 DCX [getting a 4th], 2 SRC & 1 FBQ and all are fine.

For $80 it's hard to beat. It's a generic LR24 variable F xover with no extra features like EQ. Should be fine and lots of others brands like Ashley or Rane will do the same job but will probably cost more even second hand. Behringer reliability was once poor, but I know plenty of home users with no problems, even a few with both CX xovers. I have 3 DCX [getting a 4th], 2 SRC & 1 FBQ and all are fine.[/UOTE]

I'd 2nd that. I haven't experienced any noise or reliability problems with my unit. Its a good, solid unit at a value for money price.

Behringer Super X Pro CX 3400

I am using two of the Behringer CX3400 crossovers. One per channel. Why? I just wanted to. There are three gainclones hooked up to each as my system is tri-amped. I am not noticing noise issues or any other problems. By the way, I am living in China. China's quality and workmanship will often get knocked, and with my experience from being here, I must say it's mostly from rumors and heresay. The CX 3400s offers a bit more flexibility. Why not consider those? :idea:

By the way, I am living in China. China's quality and workmanship will often get knocked, and with my experience from being here, I must say it's mostly from rumors and heresay.

I am in China at the time of this writing, working as an engineering consultant to a large electronics firm (and the one who made the comments about Chinese quality) - it's not hearsay. While they have improved quite a bit, they are still decades behind any western company in terms of engineering and quality control. They can do it if you stay on top of them. As to designing something from the ground up - not even possible from what I can see.

And I'm not anti-Chinese, my wife is Chinese, its just the way that things are. You can't go through a "Cultural Revolution", completely wiping out the higher education system, and expect to catch up to the rest of the world in a few decades.

Has anyone ever opened one up and changed out an opamp or six ( I think they have six or even more in them ) ? I'm in Australia and Burson are here so getting them quickly is an option

Why?

There is more to swapping op-amps than just prying them out of the sockets and putting new ones in. These circuits are designed around the characteristics of a particular op-amp, changing them can have all kinds of side effects... and probably not the effect you are looking for.

See This Thread for an example.

Why?

There is more to swapping op-amps than just prying them out of the sockets and putting new ones in. These circuits are designed around the characteristics of a particular op-amp, changing them can have all kinds of side effects... and probably not the effect you are looking for.

See This Thread for an example.
Thanks for that after having a read I'm a little concerned I'll be using female XLR to RCA adaptors with shielded cables as my multi channel amp is single ended ( Sherborn LDS 9/1200 ) . The amp itself is highly configurable and channels can be either 50 watt or bridged to 150 .
The amp runs quiet as , the inputs on the Behringer will be balanced and I intend to use it as a 3 way . Actually I ultimately want to use it to determine crossover points for speaker designs after running Rew etc I just thought that being made to a low price it might benefit from running true audio designed opamps and say Nichicon caps ?

It's a low cost unit, with low quality control and dito sound. If you are lucky you can have a good unit without problems like some have here, but it can be the reverse also. A DBX 223 is not much better on sound, but it will work like advertised and is much more reliable. And none of those are hi end sounding. Then you better use the Nelson Pass diy crossover, or a premade one like the ones from Marchand and a few others or even a DSP.

And the Altec 604 have very good passive crossovers designed, that are praised all over by it's listeners. Why would you use an active without the correction networks and fine tuning of this driver?