Clearwave RBR curved cabinet build - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 3rd September 2010, 01:48 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Very nice work, How do you calculate the volume of something like that?

btw, you have Robertson screws there? I thought nobody else had caught on to our little Canadian secret
Old 3rd September 2010, 02:57 AM   #12
dooper is offline dooper  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neutron7 View Post
Very nice work, How do you calculate the volume of something like that?

btw, you have Robertson screws there? I thought nobody else had caught on to our little Canadian secret
McFeely's in Wisconsin is one stateside source for our secret

Cheers,

dooper
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:23 AM   #13
diyAudio Member

Speaking again for the veneer, did you need to apply constant pressure during the glue hardening time? If yes how?

Maybe it depends on the glue type, but I used in the past wood glue (PVA), it is very efficient when hardened, but it cannot work good when the veneer is not pressed against the surface for some time because the veneer tends to warp and thus detach from the surface

Thanks, Ralf
Old 3rd September 2010, 09:08 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Did you have the stands fabricated. Me thinks.
Old 3rd September 2010, 11:01 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Hi neutron7 and thanks for your comment. I first did scale drawings in Autocad, these drawings I print and use as cutting templates. Within Autocad it is easy to measure an area or volume plus a little bit of maths adding together the different shapes.

Hi Ralf. No I didn't use constant pressure. Once the contact adhesive is set, you just press the two pieces together. I did use the rubber roller a bit to make usre there was no air bubbles.
Next time I will try PVA and then using an iron to put the veener on.

I fabricated the stands and welded them together with a MIG welder. My welding was not very good so I finished the stand with a little bit of Epoxy filler at the join and smoothed it around with my thumb.
Old 13th November 2010, 10:37 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Congratulations on your build Richard. They look fantastic. You are obviously gifted with your hands. A tradesman perhaps. Can I ask where did you purchase the veneer from?

Regards

Niss_man
Old 13th November 2010, 07:04 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Default Grilles

How did you construct the grilles? If it was in a post I missed it - interested in the cloth material and if the grilles are raised up off the surface of the baffles?

Edit - Oh I see the flush-mounted fasteners - so, how are the grilles themselves done?

Beautiful work!
Old 5th November 2012, 10:18 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

I know this thread is two years old, but when I saw these loudspeakers I was literally blown away by the craftsmanship, and I am an avid amateur woodworker.

pop4Richard. You mentioned in this thread that you were going to build a floorstanding version of these speakers. Did you ever get around to it?

Also, has anyone else designed and built speakers with cabinets like these? This is precisely the style that I want to build once I finish a pair of Amigas that I am just getting started on.

They remind me a bit of my Paradigm Signature S8's in my living room (absolutely mindblowing loudspeakers by the way) only a "miniature version" of them.

Or, they kinda look like a hybrid of Apperion Verus Grands. Little ones, that is.

And then a technical question if I may, if some can answer it. How do the smooth back lines of the cabinet perform with respect to reducing standing waves and does anyone have any links to papers, discussions on that?

Thanks.
Old 13th December 2012, 09:33 AM   #19
diyAudio Member

Default ATC, Scan Speak, Eton

Hi Frankie, thanks for the kind comment.

I have started a pair of floorstanders, but not using that design (as yet). I have collected a few drivers over the past 2 years, which is becoming a bit of a hobby in itself! (a bit like my wife's shoe collection), and I am not sure what direction to take in the cabinet design or which drivers to use.

I thought a good place to start was to just build a test box and have a listen to some drivers before I put a lot of effort into building another curved cabinet, which I like the look of a lot .

Iíve started with the ATC dome, 2 x SS 22w/8851 woofers and the ScanSpeak Revelator R2904/7000-05 tweeter per cabinet. To make it easier (I hope) Iím using a DEQX for the crossover.

I have some ply I could use to build a laminate curved cabinet, but I like the idea of bending thin ply or MDF like the RBR build. Unfortunately this would cover the end grains of the laminated ply, which I like the look of.

Quote from Frankie
ďAnd then a technical question if I may, if some can answer it. How do the smooth back lines of the cabinet perform with respect to reducing standing waves and does anyone have any links to papers, discussions on that? ď

When you bend the MDF panel to create the curve (opposed to a laminate machined curve or deep kerfs) it becomes a lot stiffer and the panel resonance increases quite a lot. A bit like bending a hand saw and playing it with a violin bow (if one is so inclined).
I think that this would be a benefit for the cabinet design.

Does anyone have a comment on this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg baffle sml.jpg (299.3 KB, 138 views)
File Type: jpg back sml.jpg (222.9 KB, 134 views)
File Type: jpg front sml.jpg (329.3 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg laminate sml.jpg (229.2 KB, 131 views)
File Type: jpg atc sml.jpg (188.4 KB, 112 views)
File Type: jpg ss woofers sml.jpg (153.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg SS mids.jpg (151.2 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg ss tweeters sml.jpg (158.1 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg eton sml.jpg (125.7 KB, 45 views)
Old 14th December 2012, 08:56 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Richard, thanks for the response. Let me ask you this: Since it's now been 2 years since the curved cabinet build, how is the resilence of the cabinets? Are they holding up well?

I'm thinking of taking a page out of your design book and implementing that method into a pair of 3 1/2 way speakers. Scanspeak and Accuton drivers.

Hide this!Advertise here!