pix of my latest

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just thought I'd share a picture of my latest project.

The design was six months in the making and combines the W18EX with a G2 ribbon. The crossover was designed by Dennis Murphy.

I've built many quality DIY designs (never one I didn't like), but these are the most detailed, open and transparent of them all. Imaging is spectacular.

Next its on to phase 2 - an actively crossed woofer/subwoofer to plumb the depths. A center channel using essentially the same drivers is also nearing completion.

Later...

- Jim

0006.jpg

[QUOTE A center channel using essentially the same drivers is also nearing completion.

[/QUOTE]

Those look amazing! What kind of wood is that?

May I make a recommendation? I noticed you said you are making a center channel with ESSENTIALLY the same drivers. I would strongly recommend using the EXACT same drivers, same size same configuration on the baffle. Basically, just a third of the two you already have. I have never heard a center channel using either the same drivers in a different configuration or nearly the same drivers (smaller woofers in an MTM for example) that sounded timbrally identical to the left and right. I know it might not look as good, and may sit a bit high on your tv, but it's WELL worth it.

I'll add also that using the same drivers in the same configuration but on a different baffle (a wide, center channel-type baffle for example) does not work either.

Save your system and use 3 IDENTICAL speakers in the front.

They look really good, Jim, and I wish you health to listen to them for a few enjoyable years - not too many as I wouldn't want to deprive you of the fun of building the next model.

Some questions ...

I'm interested in the crossover frequency too.

Also, I notice that they are supported (for the photo) on what looks like a marble plinth. How do you support them when you listen, to achieve the levels of detail, openness and transparency that you do? Are they on spiked stands?

Well done
Steve

I will be producing many pairs so I will have a chance to audition both the center channel and another of the same as a center channel.

By the way, the center channel I am working on will use a pair of W18Ex's, the G2 ribbon and a W15 mid in a sealed cabinet.

The cross on these is around 2500 Hz. Dennis Murphy did the crossover and I don't know exactly what he settled on, but it was somewhere in this area. As usual, he did a beautiful job...totally seemless transition.

As for the driver combination, I can't conceive of one that would provide more detail from the mids on up. They are about as tranparent as I have ever heard and I've worked in recording studios for over 35 years (of course, I'm biased).

Yes, they are currently supported on 28" spiked stands.

The woofer/subwoofer cabinets I am building will eventually support the left and right mains (they will be 28" tall as well). They will be actively crossed (frequency to be determined) to insure flat response and essentially be aligned with the acoustic centers of the mains. Hopefully, the result will be a system that can scale the heights and plumb the depths with smooth transitions throughout.

Actually I will not be publishing the design at this time. These speakers were designed as part of a system for my home theater design/installation business.

I will be custom-producing these for customers at this time. At some point, I may also offer the design as a kit.

That said, if you are interested in building a pair, I would be more than happy to work with you.

diyAudio Editor
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is the cabinet made like a box with sloping panels on top or is it made from a big stack (front to back ) of layers of MDF?

It might be worthwhile to try the stack approach- maybe alternating MDF and some layers of birch ply. Too much work of course! but with your cabinet shape most cuts could be easily done with a table saw, and if the interior cutouts are a bit rough it is actually better-disperses the backwaves. Nice to know Dennis Murphy really knows his stuff. I didn't realize he did contract work.

Liking everything you've made might be a bad sign for the rest of us!;)

Variac -

At some point I would like to try stacked layers. I've been thinking about them for a while. But when I do, I want to take full advantage of the technique. So I doubt there will be a straight surface anywhere.

As for liking everything I've built, I guess I did good research and chose good designs.

As for Dennis, as far as I know, he does not do contract work. I had been discussing this project with him for some time and he graced me with his crossover design. In return, I offered him a pair of cabinets so he could have a pair for himself. We had a good time working on this project over many months.

By the way, he says I need a name. Any ideas? I made a pair for a friend and he calls them the "steeple speakers." I'm not sure the name communicates the concept.

Later...

- Jim

name:
J-sat (the J comes from your name). the mating sub can then me J-sub. future versions can have II,III, IV, V etc...

how thick is the baffle? look s pretty thick. 50mm?

The W18 is supposed to be notoriously diffcult. Can one used a low order XO (1st/2nd order series) with it?

Actually I was wondering if the same combo of drivers could use a series XO? Are you investigatig a push push version? Your cabinet looks big whough to support 2 W18s.

what do you intend to use for protect the drivers from kids, pets etc?

Navin -

Your name suggestion is not bad. The first person who placed an order for these speakers suggested "Veracity," meaning "truth telling," which I thought was quite appropriate.

The baffle is 1 1/2 inches thick, about 38mm

Actually, Dennis Murphy did the crossover for this design. So your question concerning the XO would be better directed to him. He has a great deal of experience working with the W18. He may not agree with my assessment, but I don't think a low order XO works well with it. As for a series XO, I wouldn't guess it would be all that workable.

If by "push push version" you mean a 2.5 version, it is entirely possible that may be a future project - in this cabinet or another designed for that purpose. But the design is already somewhat costly, so we'll let the market decide if this would be a worthwhile project.

In terms of protecting it from kids/pets, the G2 has a built-in screen so probably doesn't require it. The W18, however, may. But I'm not a fan of grills.

I'd oviously work with people who are really concerned about it. But first I'd suggest getting rid of kids and pets - a person has to have his/her priorities :devily:

- Jim

jsalk said:
He may not agree with my assessment, but I don't think a low order XO works well with it. As for a series XO, I wouldn't guess it would be all that workable.

If by "push push version" you mean a 2.5 version, it is entirely possible that may be a future project

I'd oviously work with people who are really concerned about it. But first I'd suggest getting rid of kids and pets - a person has to have his/her priorities :devily:

- Jim

1. if low order is out then series network too are out. i dont know any series network that roll of very fast.

2. 2.5 way but witht eh secodn woofer facing the rear. dave (planet 10) can elaborate.

3. that means i have to wait till the kids go to colllege? my wife wont me to get rid of them any other way unless i get rid of all of them (wife included) ha ha ha but then who will clean, cook, dig worms and attach them on my fishing rod?

nevin (and dave) -

2. 2.5 way but witht eh secodn woofer facing the rear. dave (planet 10) can elaborate.

Sounds interesting. I couldn't find much in terms of performance test on this technique (of course I didn't search that much). Is there something more than "I tried it and it really worked great" documenting this technique?

- Jim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.