Guitar Amp/Speaker into Home Speaker

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi anybody here tried converting a guitar amp/speaker into home(and hopefully audiophile grade speaker) and is it worth it? i recently acquired a Yamaha R A 200 but the problem is i'm no guitarist. the unit is in good working condition including the spinning tweeter.

pic from the net:
yamaha_front_speaker.jpg

Most guitar amp speakers have a far from flat frequency response.
That is they are coloured/ are prone to distortion in a way that sounds nice with electric guitar. Many sound quite horrid with other sources (voices for example).
On the other hand a few guitar combos are supposed to be played clean and might be usable as mids.

Just my 2 pence…

That's not a "guitar speaker", that's Yamaha's take on the Leslie rotary speaker cabinets that are often used with Hammonds. They're a 'special effect' that makes use of the Doppler principle. There are electronic circuits that try to duplicate it, but nothing sounds as nice as real spinning speakers.

It's a classic piece of gear, and anyone trying to nail Gilmore's tone on "Comfortably Numb" would love to have it. A rotating speaker is also a staple in Clapton's rig.

And otherwise, Mr. Darwin is right. I do listen to music through guitar speakers (it's a good way to break them in, much more pleasant than the hum of a variac), and it sounds like a really loud, really cheap, transistor radio. Listener fatigue is almost immediate.

hi all.
i was going to start a new thread to ask this but thought i may as well tag it on here.

i have a goodmans 201 full range speaker which i bought as a guitar amp speaker. i've played through it in a solid state guitar amp at low volume, but the tone was a broken, ie overdriven (but as solid state this could be achieved at low volumes).

i am considering purchasing a pair of 401's that have apparently been used for 20 years in a gigging guitarists amp.

my question is: are these speakers still viable as hi fi speakers ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.