Need some advices for my DIY Project!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello Guys,
To introduce myself a little, i'm a physic student and a junior audiophile! ;d
I used to listen to music from headphones (have the Akg k-701 amped with little dot mk3 and Grado sr60i).
But now I'm searching for good quality loudspeaker at low prices and I saw some Do It Yourself kits like this one:
Kit haut parleur 3 voies 150 watts 8 ohms DIY 150/3
I also saw quite cheap amps like:
THE T.AMP S-100 - Cyberstore International Français

What about such stuff? Is it worth it?
I hope I'm not bothering you, if you have somes advices don't hesitate!
Any help is welcome ^^

Hi Stygmata, welcome to the forum, a kit is a good way to go, whether that one is good value for money I can't say (can't read French very well, & the site doesn't give brand names or parameters/graphs). What's your budget?
Have a look here for some good quality designs: Zaph|Audio
I'm sure someone from your neck of the woods will be able to recommend the best value drivers available locally to you.

I'd personally suggest going with Ye Olde Gainclone. There's lots of variants, but they're all quite simple to build, and perform very nicely. They're quite cheap, too.

That speaker kit doesn't look too impressive - the drivers appear to be pretty rubbish. For that kind of budget, you'd likely be very happy with the Modula MT - you can get all the parts at europe-audio.com.

Good quality &low price
If you are a Physics student ,you can study the mechanic of the driver itself ,and how all the parts are studied and assembled to achieve the double suspension+membrane+EMF*magnet oscillation .
Same for an amplifier ,from RCA cinch input to the power binding posts outputs.
This a good quality study for low price :D
For 130 € you can think of buying one woofer or one good tweeter ,that may
follow you for many years (reliability ).I saw also that crossovers are very expensive ,just for some meter of thin copper wire and some aluminium wrapped foil :confused: :p

Oh god! Thanks for all answers! ^^
So my budget is 400€ for one loudspeaker and amplifier which could drive two of those speakers :d

For 200€ you can buy a complete loudspeaker.
DIY is not always necessary.
I know that there're some good loudspeaker but my aim are:
-Get the best audio quality as cheap as possible
-Make as much as possible by myself to learn how it works
-Enjoy building my own loudspeaker (wood parts)

So I'm just searching to build 2 or 3 ways speaker with crossover filters in sealed enclosure with inside insulation and buy separate amplifiers.

If you are a Physics student ,you can study the mechanic of the driver itself ,and how all the parts are studied and assembled to achieve the double suspension+membrane+EMF*magnet oscillation .
Same for an amplifier ,from RCA cinch input to the power binding posts outputs.
This would be the next step with bass reflex enclosure! ^^

I saw that the DIY Gainclone amps are very very good for the price, could someone tell me where I could get one? ^^
Would you go on 2 or 3 way and what would you choose for 200-250€ speakers?

Thanks all for the help! ^^

-Get the best audio quality as cheap as possible

Audio quality comes at a price like a lot of things in real life, like good wine for example :).

-Make as much as possible by myself to learn how it works
-Enjoy building my own loudspeaker (wood parts)
yes, DIY could take a lot of years, I will be happy to read you in the next years ;). Note a low cost loudspeaker can be tweak.

Everything looks alright if this is your budget, you actually get all the parts needed...

Only the crossover looks too nasty and is too expensive! 37 Euro is just a few euro short of what I spent for total capacitance (of many caps) near 600-700 mf, a pocket full of resistances - say 50 or 100... and say 4-6-8 inductances "custom" wound... - total inductance say... 10-15 mh...

Go for it!

The characteristics of the bass driver don't look too bad... with that QTS it will handle big tuning ports for the bass reflex or even a horn loading... 30 hz is fair enough for resonance...

But now as i think, you can buy only the bass, get Eminence midrange and whatever dome tweeter if it is not piezo...

I live in Burgundy and there is really good wine wich is quite cheap, you can have really good wine for 3-4€ the bottle it is not the best, but it is quite cheap for the quality and you can visit burgundy if you come for whine.
So I wanna do the same with speakers :d sure good speaker are way more expensive, but I wanna have good speaker and enjoy making them if possible.
Buying 8000€ speakers without knowing how they work, it's like the rich people going around with very expensive cameras not knowing how it really work! ^^

Nice!
So if I take only the boomer of this kit : Haut parleur boomer de remplacement 30,3 cm 150 watts
What midrange, tweeter, crossover and other should I take?

spm-303 Qts : 0,25 in sealed enclosure Vb~Vas :confused:
bl > 20 for 70euro?
altavoz enigmatica..
may be spec is wrong..

Is this bass not good for sealed enclosure?
Could it be possible to make open loudspeaker, put them near a wall, and put some insulation stuff on the wall?

this kit havn't normal documentation & nobody used it..

..Is this bass not good for sealed enclosure?..
mm:) very good question!
you are needing to read something elementary about loudspeakers..
or(and) play with simple soft and view\consider results
(you are physic!:))
and try to find well documented project(s), may be 2way.. m.b. 300€..
there is a lot in net..

yes, some 4€ wines is good enough :)
but here is <1€ "wine" in the shop.. I do not\don't want know:xeye: how and what it is made. and whether it is drinking. but some people drink, drink, drink// :eek::D

Last edited:
This 300€ Speaker look very nice altough I can't find where to order it ><
And I don't really understand how it's made.
Would the Gainclone DIY amps be appropriate for these speakers? ^^
There's one box for the woofer which has good insulation and a second box for the tweeter which is made like bass reflex?
All these DIY stuff is so exciting!!! :d

Im very happy with my Ikea salad bowls speakers, post of build can be found here:

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/159151-ikea-spherical-speakers-first-build-done.html

There were some good thoughts of putting in a full range driver (Alpair 7 springs to mind).

The bowls are not that not cheap uk £12 ea, so £48 on the cabinets alone, but there perfectly engineered, only have to shave off a slice for the driver, and can be purchased in most cities around the world.

Here was my breakdown:

Cost:

Bowls £12ea, = £48
Mids x2, = £35
tweet x2 = £22
Binding posts x4 = £5
Screws, glue sand paper = £5

£115 total =

about 140 Euros.

Good luck,

Take pictures.

spm-303 Qts : 0,25 in sealed enclosure Vb~Vas :confused:
bl > 20 for 70euro?
altavoz enigmatica..
may be spec is wrong..

Hi Stygmata,all

You're right Flaesh,the given specification for this 12” driver is not trustworthy(starting with the Compliance value).
If made consistent for the fundamental T/S parameters,i.e.: If the fs,Qts,Vas is correct and put into a closed box of min rek. Qtc = 0.5, the f-6dB would be about 80 Hz in a stuffed box of 1 cu. ft. or 28.3L.

A ported box using consistency checked parameters tuned to ~fb 32 Hz in a 47.2 L (1.67 cu. ft.) where the port is dia. 3” and 6” long (Qt= 0.397) would have a f-3dB at about 32 Hz.

My recommendation Stygmata is: Build two 28.3 L closed boxes and add at least one T-TQWT using an additional SPM-303.:D

b:magnify:

Attachments

• SPM-303.JPG
    SPM-303.JPG
    420.6 KB · Views: 95
Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.