Sonus faber amati !! Diy

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Beautiful project.

The "Amati Clone Project" link on your first page is to my own site , so I couldn't resist a comment!

I never started building the project I described, partly because I was (and still am) happy with my previous speaker project, and partly because the Amati build would have worked out very expensive with the drivers I judged to be the closest match to the ones used by SF in the original.

It would be very interesting if you made up an article on the web about your project, discussing your reasons for choosing the drivers you used (quite different from the ones in the Amati in many ways) and describing the crossover design process and the build (though your great photos indeed are worth many words!).

How do they sound? You didn't mention that...

By the way, I built my own speakers in a small spare bedroom in our old house with the minimum of woodworking tools.

Alex

Hi Alex.

Sorry for the delay in responding, I am among those who talk too much and my Inglés being bad , so my comments are limited

I'm using the google translator.

I made a mistake in my project and i will solve soon ,the first woofer that cuts on the 350 hz should I replace it with a Scan-speak 22W/8534G; This will give me perfect linear response by to have a little more sensitivity.

You can even observe that my nominal impedance is 8 ohms total . I spent about three months to complete my crossover,...I am of those who I will not take the first solution view ..... so my exploration was to the JBL Everest , and take the concept to cut the two woofers in a masterly manner, and strengthen the area of 60 hz down where all speakers have this weakness.

JBL Everest DD66000

DD66000SCHEMATICsmall.jpg

J-RESPONSE_big.jpg

From what I've learned is that care must be taken in the impedance of the speakers, my sixth sense told me that this was the way and will not copy designs of woofer in parallel and in series , but I did listening tests and everything was a disaster.

My speaker is designed and perhaps a coincidence , to dominate any genre of music, the sound is clean with detail and transparency and seductive.

About the speakers to use in this project for a DIY ; I believe that caution should be ... especially all the drivers choose to have the same sensitivity and and avoid L pad,this may bring a bad end sound ,ideally the drivers run freely.

Today I made new measurements with the newest version of Room EQ Wizard.

juliovideo.jpg

You can see that between 350 hz to 60 hz,..... I must reinforce that area with a driver for more sensitivity, this.....

http://www.scan-speak.dk/datasheet/pdf/22w-8534g00.pdf

My current crossover
crossverfinal.jpg

Ideal response curve

levelperfect-3.jpg

Greetings and thanks for paying attention to my work, but you have twice the merit to do a review excellent. :)

-----------------------

Last edited:
Last edited:
Fantastic work, Julio! Very inspirational. In fact, you've inspired me to build something similar. Would you please explain the method you used to construct the outer curved shell of the cabinet? What types of wood and what thicknesses did you use?

Much appreciated,
John

Fantastic work, Julio! Very inspirational. In fact, you've inspired me to build something similar. Would you please explain the method you used to construct the outer curved shell of the cabinet? What types of wood and what thicknesses did you use?

Much appreciated,
John

There are many techniques for bending wood or plywood,in my case I used plywood with termination oak, the plywood was immersed in water for 30 minutes and then forced into the structure made, depending on the environmental humidity takes between 2 to 3 days to dry........and then to glue. :)

I used two layers of plywood 1 / 4 inch, total thickness 1 / 2 inch per side,each speaker weighs about 120 pounds.

Example of some techniques......

Plywood Bending

‪plywood bending‬‏ - YouTube

Wood Bending

‪wood bending‬‏ - YouTube

-------------------

Last edited:
There are many techniques for bending wood or plywood,in my case I used plywood with termination oak, the plywood was immersed in water for 30 minutes and then forced into the structure made, depending on the environmental humidity takes between 2 to 3 days to dry........and then to glue. :)

I used two layers of plywood 1 / 4 inch, total thickness 1 / 2 inch per side,each speaker weighs about 120 pounds.

Example of some techniques......

Plywood Bending

‪plywood bending‬‏ - YouTube

Wood Bending

‪wood bending‬‏ - YouTube

-------------------

Thanks!:cubist:

Disappointing... You put the time and effort into the cabinet only to let it down with the drivers. As an owner of a genuine pair of Cremonas I can tell you that your cabinet work and crossover is on par with the Cremonas, but below that of the Amati's. fantastic effort but please change the drivers to something more worthy.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.