TS parameters & closed-box design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all :)

I'm a beginner in loudspeaker design, and have in mind a 2-way closed-box with one SEAS CA22NRX woofer.

The woofer manufacturer published the following TS parameters:
- fs = 29 Hz
- Vas = 97 l
- Qms = 2.04
- Qes = 0.52

I cannot measure these parameters myself, but found here Poor Man' these numbers:
- fs = 38.5 Hz
- Vas = 51.84 l
- Qms = 2.27
- Qes = 0.51

If i take the manufacturer parameters, i could end with a 25l enclosure targeting F3 at about 60 Hz.

If i take the second set of parameters, the same procedure will lead to a 13l enclosure with F3 at about 80 Hz...

I can live with the imprecision on fs, but i'm more concerned about the value of Vas. If i make a small enclosure i might get a boomy sound, which i don't want. If i make a larger enclosure i might get really little bass...

Any advice on what i should do: trust the manufacturer, trust the independent measurements or look for some compromise? :rolleyes:

Regards,

chaparK

Hi

A second set of measurements.

Thiel & small CA22RNX
Fs = 38.55 Hz
Re = 5.80 ohms[dc]
Le = 1531.29 uH
L2 = 610.14 uH
R2 = 14.78 ohms
Qt = 0.42
Qes = 0.51
Qms = 2.34
Mms = 22.33 grams
Rms = 2.309682 kg/s
Cms = 0.000763 m/N
Vas = 55.23 liters
Sd= 226.98 cm^2
Bl = 7.820266 Tm
ETA = 0.59 %
Lp(2.83V/1m) = 91.23 dB
Closed Box Method:
Box volume = 65.00 liters
Diameter= 17.00 cm

Do not trust the manufacturer.
I think 30L for a closed box ? F3=64Hz. 25L also works .

Regards.

My advice is this. The two sets of measurements should have a decent cone mass calculation - average them. Then ignore the VAS and just use the box compliance. Set the F3 that you want from these numbers and you won't be far off.

"Boomy" is mostly the room and placement and has very liuttle to do with the enclosure design.

Hi Jerome, gedlee,

Thanks for your posts and sorry for answering late.

Given that there are two independent sets of measurements that are mostly identical, i'll go for these and discard the manufacturer data. Hope to post here soon more details as i'm going to need more advices :D

Regards,

chaparK

Hi all!

I haven't been onto this post for some time. I was busy with the amplifier for my project. It's a 4-channel with Tripath TA2022, one channel per driver.

I know it's not the right place for talking about amplifiers, but well i'm building my whole sound system consisting of DSP + Amp + Speakers, so it's a bit hard to split the project into separate topics.

Here are some pics of the amp (awful picture quality, gee :eek:)

I'll be back in a short while with a couple of questions regarding the speaker enclosures!

Best!

chapark

Attachments

• front.jpg
    front.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 603
  • rear.jpg
    rear.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 602
  • front_open.jpg
    front_open.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 597
  • rear_open.jpg
    rear_open.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 601
  • top_open.jpg
    top_open.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 600
As i wrote in my first post, that's my first loudspeaker project so i'd like to keep it easy and concentrate on sound only.

That's the reason why i've selected a 2-way only design (rather than a 3-way) and that's also why i'm choosing a closed-box enclosure. Maybe that in the future the project will end into a 3-way vented - in the meantime the idea is more about learning some cool stuff about loudspeaker design rather than achieving from scratch the ultimate sound system (oh god where did i learn to flatter old experts like that? :p )

Here's a draft of what i have in mind. It's a basic symmetric bookshelf. The drivers are:
- SEAS CA22NRX
- Eton 25SD1

- Is there something fundamentally wrong with my design?
- I'm probably going to mount/unmount the drivers a few times, so i'm not too crazy about self-threading screws (parker style). What's an other good alternative?
- Finally, i heard that it's better for a closed-box not to be too air-tight, so that the atmospheric pressure can easily balance inside and outside. That makes sense to me. What does it mean practically? Where should the air leakage take place?

Thanks all for reading this post!

chaparK

EDIT: forgot to mention that the box will be built with MDF 18mm

Attachments

• box.pdf
    14.4 KB · Views: 145
  • box4.pdf
    29.1 KB · Views: 117
Last edited:
More work done: braces are now ready.

Beginning of the gluing session:

27122010_001.jpg

Here's how the braces are supposed to support the front panel:

28122010_002.jpg

Making sure all parts are adjusted:

28122010_004.jpg

Gluing the enclosure:

28122010_006.jpg

Question: do you guys think i should secure the front panel against the braces with screws, or is the glue bond going to be enough?

Happy new year to everybody, wish you all lots of cool audio projects :D

Finishing the assembling:
31122010.jpg

Filling with special acoustic material! OK i admit, that's just pillow stuffing ;)

31122010_001.jpg

Connecting it all:

01012011_002.jpg

A few experiments with xovers. For now, my favorite is a FIR with about 160 taps generated by the blue processor on top.

01012011.jpg

Hm still need to finish the second box, damn! :p

So the second loudspeaker is finished. This project took me longer that i initially planned - but that was my first attempt with woodworking power tools such as circular saw and router. Quite a bit of an unknown - and of fun actually :D

07012011_004.jpg

This is what i used for sealing the interface between the woofer and the enclosure. It's a foam tape for sealing windows.

07012011_003.jpg

So far i haven't done any measurement. I'm just trying to adjust the system by listening to it. The current setting is a simple FIR of length 169 at 48 kHz with a kaiser window. There's also a slight bass boost (3 dB with corner at 188 Hz). The tweeter is attenuated by 3 dB, but i guess i should attenuate more. I already noticed that i tend to push high frequencies more than others - i'm not too young :dunno:

The next step is about measuring the system, and implement some filtering. What i have in mind for a start is a Linkwitz transform to replace the bass boost.

(talking about Linkwitz, i was reading yesterday an article he wrote in the beginning of the 80s about his home sound system, and well, based on his recommendations it appeared that he wouldn't like my design. Too bad :( )

Attachments

• 07012011_002.jpg
    07012011_002.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 186
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.