diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Multi-Way (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/)
-   -   thinking of building 7 way loudspeaker (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi-way/169296-thinking-building-7-way-loudspeaker.html)

MisterTwister 25th June 2010 03:06 PM

thinking of building 7 way loudspeaker

1 Attachment(s)
Here is attached sketch. What I want to do is speaker with one driver per octave (roughly) and no direct radiators. It will be very efficient, relatively small and inexpensive (no need for high end drivers, since each driver operates in narrow passband)

THUMP LUMP 25th June 2010 04:15 PM

I think the crossover will be a nightmare and the component count will negate any savings you may have on the drivers. One thing I have learned over 20 years of messing about with DIY speakers is that, generally speaking, the more drivers there are, the worse it sounds. For me, at least, I have had the best results from simple 2/3 way systems using good drivers.

I do like the idea though.

Robh3606 25th June 2010 04:21 PM

What kind of crossovers are you planning on?? With the intervals you have even with 24db networks the slopes going to walk all over eachother. Getting it to sum right will be a nightmare.

Rob:)

limono 25th June 2010 04:33 PM

I'd reduce it to five ways and have an upperbass horn loading from 100-120 Hz with good drivers and shallow 6dB slopes (yes , walkin over each other).Without a midbass /upperbass horn loading it's a waste of time .Good 2 -ways are way more tricky to get right than horn loaded 5 ways not to mention that they always sound canned (said that listening to Audio Note E/L 2 way "resonators";)

MisterTwister 25th June 2010 05:06 PM

the idea is to use narrow horns or pipes of appropriate length, so they would resonate at target frequency (creating very steep slopes), all resonances that are higher in frequency will be tamed with acoustic absorber (foam, wool, etc.).

Robh3606 25th June 2010 05:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It's already been done.

picowallspeaker 25th June 2010 05:26 PM

I don't catch the purpose of doing that ,sorry...Is it just an exercise because you have many drivers around ? Maybe if you had an Accuphase digital Xo with infinite steep slopes...but then again you'd have to cascade some to divide the spectrum in 7 bands .Theoretically it could be done :just thinking what a FR driver can do ,the compromise between SPL/freq.linearity/phase accuracy puts a 4 way to be the best ,though difficult to obtain.

MisterTwister 25th June 2010 05:28 PM

Robh3006, yes, I think it is the ultimate loudspeaker. I just need to make it a little more compact :)
picowallspeaker, 2-3 ways are not fun anymore, I need something more exotic.

benb 25th June 2010 06:54 PM

I don't think I'd just jump to a 7-way, I might make a 4, 5, and 6-way on the way. On the other hand, I see where you're going with these resonant cabinets...

Yeah, the crossover would not only be a nightmare, but I expect it would be inefficient and lose any efficiency you expect to gain from the driver configuration. This would go a lot better with multi-amping with line-level active or DSP crossovers. Perhaps as a compromise, have maybe three amps, each driving two or three adjacent-range drivers so each crossover at the drivers would be at most a 3-way.

As for the drawing, it bothers me to see drivers in resonant cabinets like that. Bass reflex cabinets aren't that bad, but I wonder if there would be audible effects when doing that closer to the midrange frequencies.

Thinking more along these "resonant" lines (while this approach may have insurmountable problems, it has me thinking), I wonder if there could be two resonances for each driver, much like IF transformers of radio receivers which use two slightly detuned resonant circuits to give a flat passband. Looking at the 125Hz and 250Hz cabinets, each one could have two ports of different length to "tune" it for a flatter passband over its full (2-to-1) range.

Not to discourage you - there's bound to be something to learn from this...

Going even further than seven drivers in seven frequency bands, there's this audio reproduction system made from a common device with 88 resonant frequency bands:
YouTube - Speaking Piano - Now with (somewhat decent) captions!
:)

Robh3606 25th June 2010 07:11 PM

Quote:

I need something more exotic.
Try a 4 way and see how you like it. I have an active 4 way set-up and a couple of bi-amped 4 ways as well. Some of my favorite systems are 4 ways.