thinking of building 7 way loudspeaker - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2010, 09:32 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Good drivers can handle a lot more bandwidth than your giving them in your design...in my opinion its pointless and will cause more problems than necessary.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:51 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Scaling a linear phase PC crossover to seven way's not hard. You'll need a VST host, multiple plugins, a certain amount of creativity in DACs and power amps, and a decent CPU to make it all go. Since it's linear phase and digital you actually have to work at it to make the crossover not sum flat. I'm not familiar with horn phase responses but resonance usually involves significant phase shift. So a stack of tuned horns seems like it might be recipie for trouble.

I started down this path with a five way dipole but ended up concluding a 150Hz/750Hz/2kHz four way was sufficient for my needs. I think there's a reasonable case for crossing in long throw subs below that for a five way and possibly jiggering around the crossovers to allow a 3/4 tweeter. But on the high end the problem is drivers themselves are acoustically large. If you want good directivity from a point source design a single driver's preferable to the multiple ones sketched above.
Old 26th June 2010, 02:01 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Default 7 way

Okay, I don't get what the 125 and 250 hz cabinet designs are. They look like horn loaded designs, but I don't understand that it appears the drivers are facing a vent?

In any case, I think the interesting part of your concept is to see how cheap a person could make each component relative to good performance in the system as a whole. My projects have all been the opposite...expensive drivers and heavy cabinets.

Do you already have some of these components?
Old 26th June 2010, 02:44 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

The lower midrange cabs appear to be 4th order bandpass. Lovely.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:08 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

homebuilder, yes, I have some components to play with )
yes, those are 4th order bandpass boxes.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:13 PM   #16
diyAudio Member

More doesnt mean better.
4-ways are the maximum you need these days, but if you want to just have fun and experiment, knock yourself out.
Old 26th June 2010, 03:19 PM   #17
freddi is offline freddi  United States
diyAudio Member

looks like fun if one already has a lotta stuff already laying around and potential dependent upon your bandpass section(s) success. One Karlson experimenter says the slotted K-waveguide used as vent works well. Some folks use panpipe several pvc ducts to distribute vent resonance. What parameters for the bandpass modules are you looking at? Have you done some modeling?
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 26th June 2010, 04:01 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Freddi - you may be on to something with the idea of having more than one vent, each with it's own tuning frequency - I expect that would sound better in the lower midrange, where you need more bandwidth than 30Hz.
Old 26th June 2010, 05:00 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

The problem might be the vertical offset . Or maybe not . The problem might be the lower octaves boxes tuned (and resonating) at different frequencies .
Then offset between the drivers ...might be an issue too . If you tailor the
design to your ambient ,i.e. corner loading ,or anything else . I'm thinking of some kind of array ,suspended on the ceiling ,composed of one mold for the upper ways ,and some boxes. Since you start "moduling", like lego ...there's
no end,like putting everything but the super-tw symmetrically ,means 13 drivers ..
Old 26th June 2010, 05:13 PM   #20
Irakli is offline Irakli  United States
diyAudio Member

My five cents:

Keep it simple.
What looks too nice and attractive on paper, seldom materializes in the same way in hardware.

Just remember 5-stage space rocket. Never worked well. Too many things to go wrong. On the other hand, one, two and three stage rockets work very well.

Hide this!Advertise here!