Midrange - cones vs Compression drivers? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th June 2010, 12:15 AM   #21
diyAudio Member

hi Peter

the midbass horn is 75cm long, and the adapter another 15cm. So total 90cm. I lowpass at 1khz, 6db. I think about make later on a adapter, to use the back of the diaphragm without phase plug straight annexed to the horn, without the 2" to 4" adapter, and close the backchamber , with foam, same as the Fane Studio 8m. So the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.

Last edited by angeloitacare; 26th June 2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 26th June 2010, 12:37 AM   #22
limono is offline limono  United States
diyAudio Member

I also experimented with idea of compression driver upperbass. Electrovoice used it in their Patrician IV horns. On the picture is oversized mouth 100Hz taper dual compression driver reentry units in compound configuration.Yes it ads a lot of snap, energy and dimmension to the sound but ultimatively I gave up because after a while one notice that the body and low end response is lacking and the sound is to dry. The horn was crossed 200Hz-600hz. I'd suggest cone driver and with time compression driver from 400 up. in suitable horn.
Regards
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (338.7 KB, 343 views)
Old 26th June 2010, 09:36 AM   #23
pk is offline pk  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by angeloitacare View Post
hi Peter

the midbass horn is 75cm long, and the adapter another 15cm. So total 90cm. I lowpass at 1khz, 6db. I think about make later on a adapter, to use the back of the diaphragm without phase plug straight annexed to the horn, without the 2" to 4" adapter, and close the backchamber , with foam, same as the Fane Studio 8m. So the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.
Hi Angelo,

Thanks for responding!

Best regards
Peter
Old 26th June 2010, 10:40 AM   #24
Flaesh is online now Flaesh  Russian Federation
diyAudio Member

Quote:
.. the backchamber will be bigger than it is now, and aloud the driver to go lower. The backwave will radiate into the phaseplug, and back into the bigger backchamber. That will lower Fs of the driver..
are you sure - diaphragm will not meet with phaseplug?
Quote:
.. Maibe this weekend i will make some measurements.
very interesting..
Old 29th July 2010, 07:14 AM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robh3606 View Post
What do you consider midrange?? Where do you want to crossover?? I have a couple of horn/waveguide systems. I really like the JBL 10's like the 2122 or 2123. They run from about 250-300 up too about 1.5K in the two systems I use them in. They sound great the only issue can be the 1.5K crossover point in you want to stay away from there with a crossover.

My other system uses a 3" compression driver crossed over at about 750hz and then at 8K to a UHF driver. Another really nice sounding system but with the woofer covering the lower midrange.

You have to name your poison as far as where you want the crossover points to be. As long as the crossovers are well implimented either way will work.

Rob

Hey Rob, I have a pair of 2120 professional series 10's, d130 15's and bullet tweeters. years ago in high school I made a box which held them all. Behind the 10's in made a virtually no airspace box inside the larger box. the entire system to me then sounded fantastic. Have you ever put the 10's in virtually no air space? I'm thinking about building another box and am trying to find the best way to use the 10's as mids (as well as save space if possible). I can't seem to find anyone recommending this on the web but at the time I swore someone in the industry told me that jbl would recommend no air if using these 10's as mids... Thanks in advance for your advice and/or thoughts.
-josh
Old 17th September 2012, 09:44 AM   #26
diyAudio Member

Hi Rob and Josh,
I have 1 pair of JBL 2120 Pro and Celestion's bullet tweeters like Josh's too, I want to make a new cabinet for them. Please could you instruct me with details of cabinet/design picture?
Forward from you.
Thanks

Hide this!Advertise here!