magnetic shielding

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Mu Metal

Two companies come to mind:

Magnetic Shield Corp:
http://www.magnetic-shield.com/products/alloys.html

and

FMS

http://www.fms-corp.com/emf-basics.shtml

Both sell alloy products with I think contain a ferric and non-ferric (like nickel) component. As magnet flux crosses this alloy interaction between the molecules cancels much of the field density.

Both sites have some good tutorials. It would also be worth googling for surplus Mu-metal (I think that its someone else’s brand name). Ideally you will find some that is self adhesive and can be applied like the aluminum tape that JD referred to.

One more, duh:

Mu Shield
http://www.mushield.com/raw_materials.html

You can also attach cancellation magnets to the back of your drivers; I'm not sure how one finds the correct magnet to properly cancel the field of a given driver, but Parts Express sells a range of the magnets and I imagine there is information to be found on the web somewhere.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
HeatMiser said:
You can also attach cancellation magnets to the back of your drivers; I'm not sure how one finds the correct magnet to properly cancel the field of a given driver

I know that putting a pr of speakers in a magnet-to-magnet push-push works really well to magnetically shield a centre channel.

MuMetal will work to a somewhat lesser extent as will a big plate of some magnetic material (ie iron). Aluminum should have no effect.

dave

GM

Joined 2003
You don't need expensive mu-metal, 12ga cold rolled steel (CRS) will do just fine for lining a cab and is cheap enough that sheetmetal fabricators will normally either give you scraps or just charge a nominal fee to shear it to size.

For that matter, you don't even need to line the cab with it. I used to have a 25" console with a sheet of it sitting on top, hanging off the back far enough to 'mask' the gun. This was sufficient to shield it from a 1.4T ceramic prosound 15" sitting on top.

GM

Does the aluminium foil with the adhesive backing work ok with smaller drivers like 6" and under? I have had a Vifa 6 1/2" and tweeter for a center channel I was going to make, but I forgot to order them in sheilded form. I have quite a bit of adhesive back foil tape about 1" wide and a little under a centimeter thick.

Ok now this it intresting. I have a pair of LX5's that I modified a while ago. I plugged the ports and stuffed the hell out of them and I also lined the inside with Dynamat Extreme. These speakers before the mods were not sheilded. In fact I though it was cool that if I placed a paperclip near the side it would stick to the outside of the box.

Well a few days ago I purchaced a new 6.1 Yamaha receiver. I was playing around and found that without a center speaker I was missing a lot. I grabbed one of the LX5's and brought it into the living room and was curious as to how close I could put the LX5 to the TV. Its sitting right on top of the damn thing right now with no distortion of color or shape on the tube.

I figure the Dynamat linning has helped not only kill the ringging of the aluminum cab but also made the unit 'sheilded'.

I say just put a layer or two of Dynamat Extreme (or equivalent as long as it is the sticky type with the metal backing) on the interior walls of your center speaker. It will help to 'sheild' it and help to kill box resonance.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.