New NHT Classic 3 woofer vibrating. Help neeed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Only had my NHT classics 3's for 3 weeks and Im getting vibrations along with a whizzing sound that seems to be coming from the midwoof. funny though because some music with decent low bass goes unaffected. I'm Pretty fresh in this hobby and have a couple questions.

1. Is this what a blown driver would do ?
2. Where would I go for a replacement ? it looks like a peerless 6.5 driver with plug and a bigger magnet.

1st diy project coming up with either the EROS, ZRT revelator or proteus.
I would appreciate any input.
Brad Wellman

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
First thing is make sure it's the speaker, so swap the left and right feeds and make sure it really is the speaker at fault.

If it is then it's worth carefully pressing the woofer cone in a little by hand and seeing if it's free with no rubbing noises. I once had a new B&W bass driver that appeared to rub and the problem was a tiny sliver of metal, probably a burr from a cabinet screw when it was all assembled, that was just held at the entrance of the voice coil by the magnetic field. You could see it like a metal filling stuck there. A tiny bit of sticky tape on the end of a plastic rod and it was removed instantly.

Thanks Mooly,
I will try to isolate it better to make sure its the driver. They worked flawlessly for a couple weeks but I didn't have the volume turned up too high. I cranked them a little bit but nothing that should put them under too much duress as the Classic 3's are supposed to be able to handle a bit of power, I then started hearing the previously mentioned problem.

NHT issue

Are your Threes still under warranty? I assume not due to your comments. You could of course call NHT about the driver if it turns out to be defective.

If you are going to do a DIY project, have you thought about a good sealed sub for the Threes? NHT has the X2 active crossover on blow-out...get one before they are gone! Then build yourself a good sealed sub and play arpound with crossover points. The Three can sound super good...also try it with tube amps if you can.

Good luck!

Brad,

A little over a year ago, NHT announced that they were taking a short break to reorganize the business. They very clearly stated that they were not bankrupt or were going out of business in the press release. I guess people are used to the Enron corporate model, where you take whatever the CEO says and assume it is **, and fill in your own interpretation of events:) This is probably what you heard about.

I live about 1/2 mile from the Danville/San Ramon border. It might as well be in San Ramon, since I'm so far from anything in Danville.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.