New NHT Classic 3 woofer vibrating. Help neeed - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 19th June 2010, 09:35 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default New NHT Classic 3 woofer vibrating. Help neeed

Only had my NHT classics 3's for 3 weeks and Im getting vibrations along with a whizzing sound that seems to be coming from the midwoof. funny though because some music with decent low bass goes unaffected. I'm Pretty fresh in this hobby and have a couple questions.

1. Is this what a blown driver would do ?
2. Where would I go for a replacement ? it looks like a peerless 6.5 driver with plug and a bigger magnet.

1st diy project coming up with either the EROS, ZRT revelator or proteus.
I would appreciate any input.
Brad Wellman
Old 19th June 2010, 10:54 AM   #2
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

First thing is make sure it's the speaker, so swap the left and right feeds and make sure it really is the speaker at fault.

If it is then it's worth carefully pressing the woofer cone in a little by hand and seeing if it's free with no rubbing noises. I once had a new B&W bass driver that appeared to rub and the problem was a tiny sliver of metal, probably a burr from a cabinet screw when it was all assembled, that was just held at the entrance of the voice coil by the magnetic field. You could see it like a metal filling stuck there. A tiny bit of sticky tape on the end of a plastic rod and it was removed instantly.
Old 20th June 2010, 03:04 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks Mooly,
I will try to isolate it better to make sure its the driver. They worked flawlessly for a couple weeks but I didn't have the volume turned up too high. I cranked them a little bit but nothing that should put them under too much duress as the Classic 3's are supposed to be able to handle a bit of power, I then started hearing the previously mentioned problem.
Old 20th June 2010, 04:11 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Default NHT issue

Are your Threes still under warranty? I assume not due to your comments. You could of course call NHT about the driver if it turns out to be defective.

If you are going to do a DIY project, have you thought about a good sealed sub for the Threes? NHT has the X2 active crossover on blow-out...get one before they are gone! Then build yourself a good sealed sub and play arpound with crossover points. The Three can sound super good...also try it with tube amps if you can.

Good luck!
Old 21st June 2010, 02:11 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

homebuilder,
NHT is out of business. Thats why their speakers are discounted right now, they have gone to liquidators. And yes I think I will pull the trigger on the crossover. Anyways I have the same problem. Does anybody know what the 6.5 driver is in the 3's ?
Old 21st June 2010, 05:22 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Further inspection and I found a slight tear in the cone. Damn. Just found out NHT is still answering phones in the parts dept. 1-800-648-9993 is the number.
Old 21st June 2010, 08:21 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Hidley
Where did you hear that NHT is out of business? That is utter baloney.

The woofer in the Three is 100% custom made for NHT.
Old 22nd June 2010, 05:53 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Jack,
The rumor is floating all over the internet. Sorry if I spread misinformation. I loved my new threes when they were working. By the way I own a business in San Ramon and I see your from Danville.

Apologies,
Brad Wellman
Old 23rd June 2010, 02:01 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Jack Hidley
Brad,

A little over a year ago, NHT announced that they were taking a short break to reorganize the business. They very clearly stated that they were not bankrupt or were going out of business in the press release. I guess people are used to the Enron corporate model, where you take whatever the CEO says and assume it is **, and fill in your own interpretation of events This is probably what you heard about.

I live about 1/2 mile from the Danville/San Ramon border. It might as well be in San Ramon, since I'm so far from anything in Danville.

Hide this!Advertise here!