Voigt pipe as a TQWT

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
I usually use Voigt & TQWT interchangably.

You question then becomes what is the difference between S0 = 0 vrs S0>0

Depends on the line, and the driver. When i was consulting with Scott on Demetri & Mileva, line length was extended (with the same taper) such taht S0 became 0 with no appreciable effect (except making the box easier to build)

dave

GM

Joined 2003
SO = 0 = infinite (Dc) band-width (BW) throat in theory, but it has a tiny incompressible air boundary area in reality, so the effective throat area frequency is way up above our hearing limit, ergo any larger area progressively lowers the pipe's throat frequency with increasing area, i.e. its high frequency limit.

Ideally then, a pipe horn such as a BIB or Voigt pipe would be designed using horn theory, but few, if any have been. As already noted though, increasing stuffing at the peak of a SO = 0 pipe acts as an acoustically larger throat plus typically yields superior damping to a damped larger throat area and easier to build if folded, so is what I prefer.

GM

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.