Budget bookshelf 2-way

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been scouring the web for a while for a solid sounding DIY bookshelf 2 way pair.

I have build a few full-range based on the 4" drivers FE127E, EL70, and CHR70. I wanted a small-ish 2-way system with a 6-8" driver and decent tweeter.

I ended up ordering these drivers
Vifa PL18WO09-04 $35 ea
HiVi SD1.1-A $13 ea

I built a 2nd Order Linkwitz-Riley crossover at 2KHz and - Caps and inductors from Erse Audio - $90(pair)

So far I have test cabs of 15L just to break everything in and I reversed the tweeter polarity to address the phase shift. There is a port built in with the same volume as a 2" flare with overall length of 6".

I will make a proper pair of cabs probably close to this volume due to space and placement - loosely based on the madisound 14L units.

Driving them are Pass DIY amps - I have an F5 and an Aleph Mini at my disposal so I will probably wire the crossovers/terminal cups so that I can bi-amp down the road.

I must say that for very small $$$ this is an impressive little speaker.

I'd be ashamed to to post my test mule...LOL...

I'll try to get at least one done this weekend. Probably birch ply sides and back and MDF baffle. Although I'm quickly learning that MDF is really easy to work with...All the speakers I have built to date have been birch ply. I might just do 3/4" mdf for everything and paint or veneer them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.