Which Scanspeak mid/bass for 2-way? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th June 2010, 04:44 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Scanspeak mid/bass for 2-way?

I need a new loudspeaker! Medium/small room, 300b SET amplifier. I was thinking in terms of a slim floorstander or maybe a 2-way on stands. I'm still considering a fullranger like Jordan JX92 or Mark Audio 12. But I'm equally open to a 2-way.

I don't have the software or implements to construct crossovers, so would need a proven design, or at least somebody that could calculate values for me. I see many good reviews of Scanspeak units like 15W8530K00, 18W8531 and 8545 and there are other similar ones in the range.

Can somebody recommend some good designs with these Scanspeak mid/bass drivers - 6" to 8"? Or any other high end DIY projects that would give me similarly good performance? I don't listen loud, and mostly to classical and jazz. High volumes not necessary at all. Detail and tonal accuracy and beauty is very important.

Very grateful for your help here!

Andy
Old 15th June 2010, 07:54 PM   #2
herm is offline herm  United States
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy,

Troels has several designs up on his website. Take a look:

DIY Loudspeaker Projects

herm
Old 15th June 2010, 08:11 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

I don't know what your budget is but I have a pair of Zaph's ZD5 2-ways that are very good.
Old 15th June 2010, 09:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hello -
Looks like a choice here between two good options -

15W8530K00 - we have the Ellam and Zaph ZD5 (which he described in 2006 as the best speaker he had designed)

18W8531G00 - SP98-09 plus HTGuide Forum - The Spassvogel MT project design and progress (ScanSpeak 6600 & 18W/8531) plus Zaph|Audio - ZRT - Revelator Tower

Both the same price. These all seem well regarded and tested designs.

Can anyone give me any further guidance on these options?

Andy
Old 15th June 2010, 10:06 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Plus, reading through several websites, one builder at least prefers the old 18W8545. Plenty of designs there too, and again the same price.

Andy
Old 16th June 2010, 03:38 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

It'll probably come down to how important the low end is to you... and 8" driver will respond lower but require a larger box, a 6" will probably behave slightly better at the high end (around the xover point). & I'd check out the distortion profiles on Zaph's site (all SS drivers seem to be very good in this respect though...)
Old 16th June 2010, 03:48 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a derivative of Zaph's ZD5 and I enjoy it very much. However he does not recommend it for tube amps because of it's low sensitivity. Also his design has raising impedence; so you would need to add your own conjugate notch for impedance flattening.

His ZRT speaker use the 18W Revelator and the AirCirc tweeter which is great. He says this design should work well with tube amps.

http://www.zaphaudio.com/ZRT.html
Old 16th June 2010, 06:31 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Hi Andy,

A 300B set amplifier is not appropriate for these scan-speak drivers, best bass extension and low sensitivity (82dB/86dB)
For your 300B set a high efficiency loudspeaker is required (>90dB) and it cannot be slim.

Read carefully choices
Perhaps a SEAS nextel design could work better because they need less power to deliver their best ?
TroŽls has tested these "slim" SEAS design with his 8W amplifier.
Acapella NEXTSEAS W22NY001 +
CNO 2.

Last edited by jerome69; 16th June 2010 at 06:43 AM. Reason: typo
Old 16th June 2010, 08:10 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi again,

To answer the last posts. The lower end isn't too important. Actually I was a professional jazz bass player, and as they say "the cobblers children have no shoes". The bottom note E on the bass is 40hz so as long as that is not too far down like -3db or even -6db I'm fine. Not interested in anything under 40hz.

As regards power, I have a quite small room and I don't listen loud. So I'm happy with less power. I can appreciate comments on amplifier/speaker match for "normal circumstances" since that's how we design of course. But in my case, like I say, I'm happy with lower volumes.

Having said that, there does seem to be about 4db difference between the 8530 and 8531 or 8545 in sensitivity. In fact the 8545 is the most sensitive. Should I in fact just use the 8545? I know it's an older design - are newer designs better sounding? the 8545 seems still in production, though for how long I don't know.

Andy
Old 16th June 2010, 08:29 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

Hi

"the cobblers children have no shoes"
I like this proverb.

Newer scanspeak designs iare better sounding in the midrange.

Don't forget we need power to reproduce peak signals. If the mean power is 1W, we could have 15W peak power. For the bass note, the power needed is high.

Frankly, you like bass, without hesitation 18W/8531G00 is the driver for you.

Have Fun.

Hide this!Advertise here!