Compression driver for Eminence Beta 12CX

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi guys, can anyone recommend a good compression driver for an Eminence Beta 12CX other than the selenium DT220i? Would like to crossover at 900hz and active eq like the emerald physics CS2.3

Have heard mixed things about this driver but its cheap enough to give it a try i think. Please share your experience if you have had success with it.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
I really don't think any compression driver is going to do well at 900Hz on a 12" coax. You should look to a higher crossover point. The 12" "waveguide" is not big enough for a crossover point that low. IMO.

FWIW, I heard a pair DT220i crossed at 1200Hz yesterday and they sounded rather nice. They were on Altec 811B horns.

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
I really don't think any compression driver is going to do well at 900Hz on a 12" coax. You should look to a higher crossover point. The 12" "waveguide" is not big enough for a crossover point that low. IMO.

FWIW, I heard a pair DT220i crossed at 1200Hz yesterday and they sounded rather nice. They were on Altec 811B horns.

Yes 900hz is very low. How this works so well on the CS2.3 (with a 3rd order passive x-over) is beyond me. I may just try it at 1200hz instead, hopefully wont have excessive beaming from the mid woofer.

Is it a 1" CD? Why don't you look here just for some information.

Thanks for the link. I believe the Beta 12CX takes 1" only but im not 100% certain.

I'm also building an E.P. CS2.3 clone.

I use a BMS 4552Nd and a adapter to fit it on the coax driver. The 4552 can go as low as 500 Hz.

I've used the BMS4552Nd as low as 750 Hz with a 8. order software based crossover filter (XOVER) in Foobar mediaplayer and it sound absolutely outstanding! I've used Radian PB950 in the past and the BMS driver is in the same league IME.

For the CS2.3 clone/variant I'll use a 2. order passive filter @ 900 Hz for the BMS and coax driver. And 2. order active filter at 100-150 Hz. The active filter is a variant of the Firstwatt B4 based on the B1 circuit design.

Good luck!

Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Thanks guys. After a bit more research, I think I might try the selenium first and then move up from there if / when I feel the need. I will keep all of the drivers listed below in mind. Will order the seleniums and 12CX's today.

I'm also building an E.P. CS2.3 clone.

I use a BMS 4552Nd and a adapter to fit it on the coax driver. The 4552 can go as low as 500 Hz.

I've used the BMS4552Nd as low as 750 Hz with a 8. order software based crossover filter (XOVER) in Foobar mediaplayer and it sound absolutely outstanding! I've used Radian PB950 in the past and the BMS driver is in the same league IME.

For the CS2.3 clone/variant I'll use a 2. order passive filter @ 900 Hz for the BMS and coax driver. And 2. order active filter at 100-150 Hz. The active filter is a variant of the Firstwatt B4 based on the B1 circuit design.

Good luck!

Hi Nelson,

Any reason you are choosing a 2nd order passive rather than the 3rd order used in the CS2.3?

I have seen some graphs of the 10CX with a ragged response above 5khz, probably due to poor transition between HF driver and cone. Not sure if the 12CX has the same issues, however I will be buying a pair of cheap dayton waveguides and use them instead (with the 12CX as a mid woofer) if the co-axial experiment does not work out. But first I will try my best to flatten the response with the DCX.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.