Go Back   Home > Forums > Loudspeakers > Multi-Way

Multi-Way Conventional loudspeakers with crossovers

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 6th June 2010, 08:07 AM   #1
tonytex is offline tonytex  Portugal
diyAudio Member

Default ND105-4 in TL

Hi
Any help with the following will be most welcomed.
I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers to build a simple 2 way system...need to keep the wife happy
I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line

Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem.
Otherwise if a simple bass reflex is the way to go what are the suggestions?

They will be either matched to a SD1.1 Hivi tweeter or a Tangband W3-871s which has served me faithfully for many years but is of course lacking in the bass department.
Thank you

Tony
Old 6th June 2010, 03:21 PM   #2
pkitt is offline pkitt  United States
diyAudio Member

I presume you're wanting to build a pair of MTMs? Are you wanting a floorstander or a "bookshelf" cabinet? What are you hoping for as far as F3 is concerned? I did some quick modeling of both a tapered TL and an ML-TL. For instance, in a bookshelf cabinet having internal dimensions of approximately 5"W x 10"D x 22"H, you can have a single-fold line ~45" long of either type of TL, ending up with an F3 in the 40-50 Hz range (it will be lower for an ML-TL). Both would have the line exit at the bottom of the rear panel. The ML-TL could also be built as a tall, not very deep floorstander quite easily. I've attached a graph of the system response for the ML-TL I modeled rather quickly so you can get an idea of how it would perform. I modeled with the two woofers wired in series since I assumed that's how you would handle them in an MTM.
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytex View Post
Hi
Any help with the following will be most welcomed.
I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers to build a simple 2 way system...need to keep the wife happy
I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line

Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem.
Otherwise if a simple bass reflex is the way to go what are the suggestions?

They will be either matched to a SD1.1 Hivi tweeter or a Tangband W3-871s which has served me faithfully for many years but is of course lacking in the bass department.
Thank you

Tony
Attached Images
File Type: gif ND105MLTL.gif (6.8 KB, 159 views)
Old 6th June 2010, 04:04 PM   #3
bjorno is offline bjorno  Sweden
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to bjorno
Quote:
..I have recently bought 2 pairs of Dayton ND105-4 drivers..

I have not seen many box suggestions for them and would like to try to build some sort of Transmission Line..

..Any suggestions, i want good bass extension so if they have to be big no problem..

They will be either matched to .. a Tangband W3-871s..
Hi Tony,

If you go for the Tangband solution and just want to add low end, I recommend to build a main sub to be a T-TQWT that can be placed anywhere but preferably near a wall to pick up some passive boundary gain..

b
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DaytonND105-4_T-TQWT_OD-TL.JPG (521.2 KB, 163 views)
Old 6th June 2010, 09:44 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

thank you both for your replies!
Paul please can you email me a rough diagram for what you are suggesting in terms of enclosures, TL and ML-TL...can be a hand drawing, just want to make sure i understood you correctly.
the ML-TL is the one getting more my attention
Thank you once more
my email is:isavanto@gmail.com
Old 6th June 2010, 09:47 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

b i saw your graph but i am a little ignorant to alot of the info on it.....but i want to learn
Can u perhaps send me a drawing of how the enclosures u suggest would be like?
thank you
tony
Old 6th June 2010, 10:59 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

I'll do that tomorrow as I don't have time to do it today.
Paul

Quote:
Paul please can you email me a rough diagram for what you are suggesting in terms of enclosures, TL and ML-TL...can be a hand drawing, just want to make sure i understood you correctly.
Thank you once more
Old 7th June 2010, 04:57 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Tony:
I just emailed the cabinet sketches to you.
Paul

Quote:
Thank you once more

Hide this!Advertise here!